Updating selected files only (and not an entire project).

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
donpedro
Propeller Head

Updating selected files only (and not an entire project).

Post by donpedro »

I have changed multiple files in my Flare project but at this moment only want to update one of those files in my Lingo project (and not all the revised files).
According to the Lingo help, I should be able to do so by updating the Lingo project and then select the file in my Flare project (as far as I understand the following description from the Lingo help):
1.Open the Lingo project.
2.Select File>Update Project.
3. In the dialog that opens, navigate to the updated project or file that you want to translate, and double-click the appropriate file.
However, when I select the "Update Project" option, Lingo will only accept entire Flare project files (FLPRJ) and not single files.

Does anybody have any experience with only updating single files?

/Peter
Flare V9 and Lingo V7
rob hollinger
Propellus Maximus

Re: Updating selected files only (and not an entire project).

Post by rob hollinger »

When the help refers to a file, it is referring to a Frame document or Word document.
There isn't a capacity in Lingo that allows you to only update a single topic in the Flare project.

The idea is that the Flare project and the Lingo project have a 1:1 relationship. Any changes in the Flare project will need to be reflected in the Lingo project.
Rob Hollinger
MadCap Software
donpedro
Propeller Head

Re: Updating selected files only (and not an entire project).

Post by donpedro »

My problem is that I regularly experience that a handful of files are somehow "corrupt", XML problems, tags not matching etc.
I would like to be able to simply update and translate these individual files only.
Otherwise, if I choose to update the entire project, I will have to go through (Accept) all the files, links etc. in the project again plus all the new files I've added to the Flare project since creating the Lingo project in the first place :(

That is, I typically "branch out" a copy of my (single) Flare Project ("Flare A") as a Lingo project ("Lingo A"). I then concurrently translate the Lingo project ("Lingo A") while also adding new stuff to my original Flare project (which then becomes "Flare B").

Now, since I also do other stuff than tech writing and translations, it might take one or two months before I complete translating Lingo A. If I then choose to update Lingo A, it will "import" the (now) Flare B project, which of course in the meantime
has been changed a lot, requiring me to go through the whole process of accepting files etc all over again.

I would like to have the option to at least be able to select individual Flare files and then let me worry about the 1:1 relationship between Flare:Lingo.

I'll put in a feature request with the developers.