Contributor VERY SLOW with SharePoint?

This Forum for all general issues about Contributor
SusanL
Propeller Head

Contributor VERY SLOW with SharePoint?

Post by SusanL »

Anyone using Contributor with SharePoint? Is slowness a normal issue?

I recently joined a fairly large organization, and they have started down the road with Contributor to replace the enabled-PDFs to get reviews from SMEs. They want to use a SharePoint workflow (using 3rd-party tool Bamboo) for notifications and keep the documents to be edited in SharePoint. I am writing up the cheat sheet for our SMEs. However, I find that editing or doing anything with the Contributor package and files from SharePoint is very slow, and something that is bound to aggravate our SMEs.

Anybody else come across this issue?
SusanL
Propeller Head

Re: Contributor VERY SLOW with SharePoint?

Post by SusanL »

Well I discovered that it has to do with the package looking for missing css files and page layout files. If I download the file to my local and then open it, I don't have the slowness issue. If I try to open the topic files directly from the SharePoint server, I get a message pane that tells me that the css and page layout files are missing. And I can edit it, but it is slow, slow, slow. It doesn't do that on my local, but I need to test the download of the package on a machine that doesn't have Flare.

At this point, the workaround seems to be download the package, work with it on the local and then upload it again to SharePoint. I'm not pleased that the library is not set up for versioning control (which seems to defeat one of the major purposes of SharePoint) and I don't have the permissions to set versioning. :|
hoss
Propeller Head

Post by hoss »

I've had slowness issue with Flare and Sharepoint for about 2 years. I have posted this as a bug, and it has yet to be fixed.
In my case it was in using a sharepoint location as a publshing destination, it would take literally hours to publish. I viewed network activity and there was lots of seemingly pointless negotiating before the file was actually uploaded (even with the new options unchecked).
SDilg
Propeller Head

Post by SDilg »

Good morning,

I have a related question for hoss. I'm also trying (for the first time) to publish WebHelp html5 to a SharePoint (2007) destination and am noticing the slowness. Can you please tell me what is meant by "the new options unchecked"? I'm not sure what you mean. BTW I'm using SharePoint as a repository only. For Source Control we use Team Foundation.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide,

SDilg