Translating detailed FLTAR information and directory paths.

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
donpedro
Propeller Head

Translating detailed FLTAR information and directory paths.

Post by donpedro »

Does anybody know whether it is possible to translate the following information in Lingo:

1. The target (FLTAR) file name (as displayed in the project organizer) (eg. from source "Brugermanual (da-DK)" to target "User Manual (en-GB)").
2. The FLTAR output file name (General>Output file) (eg. from source "Brugermanual" to target "User Manual").
3. The paths to the destination directories (eg. from source ".....\(da-DK)\..." to target "... \(en-GB)\...")?

Thanks in advance.

Yours,
Peter
jasonsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Translating detailed FLTAR information and directory paths.

Post by jasonsmith »

Hi Peter

It looks to me like the only segments that are available for translation in fltar files are target-specific variable definitions.

1) I believe that changing the file name would mean that you would not be able to reimport the translated file back into your lingo project. I think you would have to do this manually in the exported Flare Project (see 2)
2) Maybe you could add this info to your list of variables that get translated and paste it into the renamed target name field (see 1).
3) (en-GB) isn't really a translation of (da-DK) I would think you would need to do this manually in the exported Flare Project too.

Good luck!

jason
SolenaLeMoigne
Propeller Head

Post by SolenaLeMoigne »

Trados can be set to identify this markup so translators can "see" the strings and translate them. Be aware that if you're subcontracting the translation, you'll have to explain carefully what values are correct and why, otherwise the destinations may be incorrect.
Lingo does not suggest .fltar files as translation candidates.
- Solena Le Moigne
Don’t worry, I’ll merge all those markups onto a single copy - Wade Nelson - techwhirl.com
SolenaLeMoigne
Propeller Head

Post by SolenaLeMoigne »

Update : Trados, even SLD Studio 2011 with the MadCap Translation module and the TagEditor still does not see some translatable texts.
Examples are :
. CSS (cross-references, for instance)
. fltar
. flpgl

So if you have any string of characters that need to be translated in these files, they have to be done by hand.
- Solena Le Moigne
Don’t worry, I’ll merge all those markups onto a single copy - Wade Nelson - techwhirl.com