Flare V3.1 + Framemaker 9

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
davercool
Jr. Propeller Head

Flare V3.1 + Framemaker 9

Post by davercool »

Hi
I have version 3.1 Flare (yes i think this is now a long way back). I've installed it on my machine but i think that it does not recognize Framemaker 9. Flare tells me it can not find FM. So can i assume that my old Flare 3.1 is not compatible with FM9? Is there any more i can do?
I know that upgrading Flare is an option.
Thanks
David C
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Flare V3.1 + Framemaker 9

Post by RamonS »

Welcome to the forums!
From what I can tell, Flare 3 predates FM9 and that is the likely reason why Flare does not detect FM. Also, from what I recall you need to install Flare after FM to have best chances of recognition, but I'd put my 2 cents on the version mismatch.
davercool
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by davercool »

OK. I sorta thought that this would be the problem. Tis a shame. Flare would have been very useful to me. I won this MadPak software set, way back, and have used it on and off, now its on and I've run out of compatibility. Just need some single source software for me as a single user. OK, such is life.
Thanks for your time!

David C
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

What exactly do you want to do? Maybe there are alternatives.
davercool
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by davercool »

... well I've just found out that instead of maintaining one document of each product their is also a second document, a branch (I'm so new to the software industry i could cry). This branch may take some text from the main document at times. At the moment its a case of cut and paste, this is where i could forget to do it say. So... a gentle CMS would be great, you know, write once and forget. Just tag the content for one or the other documents or just the one document. There are several products too.
I'm used to using a CMS (document content not web (TCToolbox) - and they are fantastic (not TCToolbox though (my opinion)). When i look on the internet all the CMS software packages are for web content, which is not what i want.
Anyway, I have this MadPak which I've rarely used and thought it could do the job.
I've started to use conditional text in FM and this makes life a little easier - able to find and tag text, say, required in both manuals.
and, of course cost is a problem too.
But a lickle CMS would be perfect.
davercool
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by davercool »

overnight i thought about my problems and my memory banks kicked in. and for the manuals i maintain i can use FM quite well with conditional text. i see that now it is a small problem i have.
It was just that i had this MadPak suite and wanted somehow to use it. But times have moved on...
Thanks for your interest.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Flare 3.1 didn't support FM 9

sorry
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer