parameter is not valid

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
fbader
Jr. Propeller Head

parameter is not valid

Post by fbader »

I tried to build a movie (automatic capture mode, 56 frames) as MadCap Movie Player and HTML5.

The result:
"Out of memory" (HTML5) or "invalid parameter" (HTML5 and MadCap Movie Player)
I've 3Gb RAM, how much do I need and what does "invalid parameter" means?
I haven't changed anything in the settings, everything is default.

Screen- 2013-09-19 12.42002.jpg
Screen- 2013-09-19 12.35001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbkalla
Propeller Head

Re: parameter is not valid

Post by jbkalla »

I'm pretty sure these two messages are the same issue. I'm getting this with a 400 frame movie. I think the only option is to reduce the size of your movie. I have a feeling that Mimic runs out of memory very easily and doesn't deal with it well. Sorry! I hope somebody has a better answer!

With 56 frames, I'm surprised you're running into this. I regularly build movies with over 100 frames, though that's about where I run into problems. Also, I'm keeping my window size to around 1230x710px to fit in a browser on a 19" monitor. I'm guessing your movie sizes are a fair amount larger than that.

Note: I am running a new Xeon workstation with 16GB RAM and an SSD. My memory issues didn't improve with the upgrade. It's got to be the app, though 3GB is quite small.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Which OS are you running? Is the OS 64 bit?
jbkalla
Propeller Head

Post by jbkalla »

He's running XP, so likely to be 32 bit, but he has only 3GB RAM anyway.

I'm running Win7 Pro, 64-bit. My maximum frame number seems to be around 200. After that, I get errors like, "Can't write to folder" (even though Mimic just created the folder itself), or the errors above.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Well, there is a 64 bit version of XP, but either version dropped off Microsoft support and it will be more and more questionable if it is a wise choice to stick with XP.
Depending on how many other applications run 3GB is not enough...and a 32bit OS cannot address more unless it employs memory bank swapping (OS X does/did that).

As far as the 'cannot write to folder' issue is concerned, did you try it by moving the entire project higher up in the directory tree? Even Win 8.1 update 1 cannot operate with file paths/names that together are longer than 255 characters.
jbkalla
Propeller Head

Post by jbkalla »

It's not actually a permissions issue. Mimic is not working correctly because of the size of the file. When I brought the frame count down to 200 frames or so, it worked just fine.