Interface a bit scrunched

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
udonna
Propeller Head

Interface a bit scrunched

Post by udonna »

Hello,

I've installed the trial version on a Windows 8 Pro Surface and there are places in the interface that are "scrunched", meaning the text doesn't fit in or has an interface element obscuring it. I've attached a screen capture that illustrates the issue (the row that is above the blue (selected?) row is barely discernable.

Is there some kind of setting that can remedy this?

Thanks, Donna
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Interface a bit scrunched

Post by RamonS »

You can try resetting the window layout under Window > Layouts > Reset Window Layout...
I wonder if a Surface tablet is the best system for running Flare. I know these tablets have a keyboard, but given the rather small screen size, limited storage capacity, and weak hardware I doubt you will find Flare to be working as expected. If you keep running into problems try Flare on a real PC.
ToddPh
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ToddPh »

I've actually been running into similar issues with a new ultrabook, whether displayed on the internal screen or output to desktop monitors. All three screens are set at 1920x1080, which I believe matches the display resolution of the Surface. I'm going to experiment a bit and see if I can find out more about where this is happening and whether Ramon's suggestion makes a difference on my setup.

BTW, I think my Dell Ultrabook has a lot of the same internals as the Surface: Core i5, Intel HD graphics, and 8GB of RAM. Not what I would exactly describe as puny. :) But the tablet screen would be a huge challenge for my aging eyes if using it for Flare. The 14 inch I have here is already forcing me to carry my reading glasses.
Todd
When puns are outlawed, only outlaws will have puns.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Another thing to check is whether a zoom factor is being applied at the display level. Sometimes users will 'zoom in' on a high resolution but small physical dispaly to be able to read things. This sometimes causes strange behaviour in application windows.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
ToddPh
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ToddPh »

My issue seems to be resolved by setting the screen font size to Smaller (100%). Donna, have you checked to see if your display is magnifying the text size?

Although, a word of caution, it might make all text a bit small to read.
Todd
When puns are outlawed, only outlaws will have puns.
udonna
Propeller Head

Post by udonna »

Many thanks to you all for trying to help.
Ramon (?), regarding your comment of using a Surface as a system for running Flare, in terms of the CPU and memory abilities--the Surface is great. The screen size though is challenging in terms of real-estate.

I tried all your helpful suggestions, but alas, none worked (resetting the layout, changing all display settings, changing just font size of the display).

As my idea was to be able to work onsite at a customer with this convenient (in terms of carrying size and weight) device, this is a bit of a problem.
Yet really appreciate your great ideas.

Thanks again, Donna
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

OK, the Surface matches the specs of an entry-class desktop, but not in regards to local storage capacity. It may be fine for smaller projects, but after a while you either need to add slower local storage or make use of network resources.
Let me put it this way, a Surface, or any tablet for that matter, is not my first, second, or third choice for running applications like Flare or anything else that requires document editing beyond some casual changes.
shannong
Propeller Head

Post by shannong »

@RamonS : The specs for a Surface Pro 3 are hardly "entry level desktop".

@Madcap: I have the same issues as the OP, and what's worse is that the Skin Editor won't correctly display the live preview correctly at all.

Yes, you _can_ set the system's default 2160 x 1440 resolution to "Make text and other items larger or smaller" be 100%, but this is untenable for actually working in the Desktop on a Surface Pro 3. (Everything's far too small)

Edit: After changing this setting, it's not sufficient to click Apply. You must also logout or restart the system before you'll see things in Flare rendering they way they're supposed to.

We could debate whether Surface Pro 3 machines are popular or not, but IMO it's a solid business-class machine that is an arguably equal (if not superior) option to a Macbook Air or other ultracompact, and as a class, these types of machines are increasing in popularity. Therefore, I feel that MadCap should do something about their app scaling to support displays where the text sizing is set to > 100%.
Last edited by shannong on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

shannong wrote:We could debate whether Surface Pro 3 machines are popular or not, but IMO it's a solid business-class machine that is an arguably equal (if not superior) option to a Macbook Air or other ultracompact, and as a class, these types of machines are increasing in popularity. Therefore, I feel that MadCap should do something about their app scaling to support displays where the text sizing is set to > 100%.
Is that why Microsoft writes off millions every quarter across the entire Surface line? As far as scaling in Flare is concerned, I am convinced that it is out of the box .NET functionality that apparently doesn't work too well.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

shannong wrote:...@Madcap: I have the same issues as the OP, and what's worse is that the Skin Editor won't correctly display the live preview correctly at all...
This a peer support forum. Although the Madcap folk look in from time to time, if you want to provide feedback or report issues you should contact support directly.

Use this URL to report bugs: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
shannong
Propeller Head

Post by shannong »

For those using a Surface Pro (2 or 3), I found the following workaround. It's not ideal, but it lets you be productive in Flare on this particular device. This approach should also work for other Win 8.x "ultrabook" devices with HD+ screens like the Surface Pro 2/3 have.

Short version:

Change your device resolution to render text scaled at 100% to be effectively the same visual size as its default resolution produces at its default >150% text scaling. Then restart the system and you'll see that Flare looks essentially the same in terms of UI text labels, but everything renders correctly. The downside is that you'll probably lose either some vertical or horizontal real estate on your device's native display.

Long version:
  1. Look at your device's default resolution and text scaling values:
    • Resolution: Right-click desktop > "Screen Resolution"
    • Text Scaling: Right-click desktop > "Screen Resolution" > "Make text and other items larger or smaller" > select "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays"
  2. Clear the "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" checkbox. We used it only to see the actual percentage values for each "tick" of the "Change the size of all items" slider.
  3. Drag that slider all the way left. This is the 100% text scaling position.
  4. Click "Apply", but don't restart your device just yet.
  5. Click "Adjust resolution".
  6. Calculate the value of your default resolution's width by your default text scaling. For example, the Surface Pro 3's default resolution is 2160 x 1440, and its default text scaling is 150%. In this case, you would calculate (2160 / 1.5) = 1440.
  7. Now find all possible resolution values for your device that match the calculated value for width. For example, the Surface Pro 3 has a 1400 x 900 option and a 1400 x 1050 option. Set the resolution to one of these values (I opted for 1400 x 1050 on my Surface Pro 3).
  8. Restart your device and try Flare 10 again. You'll see that everything renders properly, even the Styles tab of the Skin editor.
You probably won't find a perfect match for both the width and height in the range you're looking. This means that either the sides or top/bottom of your display panel will be unused at the new resolution, but this is a minor annoyance. If you can't find an exact width that matches your calculated value, try the same calculation on your default resolution's height and instead look for an exact match in height.
samjones6
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by samjones6 »

Welllllll, it is 2016..... and

1) The Surface 4 ROCKS. (It is significantly hotter than my desktop, has i7 processor, 500GB SSD, hot hot hot)

2) Flare doesn't work on it. I have found no way at all, so far, to get Flare usable in any way on the Surface.

This is with the latest 11.1.2 version of Flare.

Come on Madcap! I am moving to 4K monitors on my desktop soon.... It would be silly to have to throw away Flare because it won't work on high res.

The problem:
1-26-2016 1-34-19 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

As you're looking at the trial version, I suggest you speak to the MadCap Sales rep that you've been dealing with. They are pretty helpful in general, but extra-helpful to people who are considering buying Flare. They'll get you in touch with the techies who will be able to troubleshoot much more effectively than the users on the forums, who are just regular Flare users, not MadCap people.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy Flare.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx