Downloadable content.

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Glowin
Jr. Propeller Head

Downloadable content.

Post by Glowin »

Hi everyone,

We're currently in the process of moving our help document over to HTML5. I was wondering if anyone knew of any way that we could possibly allow our users to download content (training documents) and have it included in their TOC?

Could you put a link into the TOC that only becomes active once the content has been downloaded?

Any ideas/solutions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Gareth
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: Downloadable content.

Post by kwag_myers »

I'm assuming the purpose of downloading files is to make them available off-line, correct? I'm also assuming you have one or more topics for the users to invoke the download from. If so, select External File in the Link to section of the Insert Hyperlink dialog (here's more information). You need to add some "Save As" JavaScript code to force the file to download as opposed to opening.

As for the TOC, I have an idea, but it's only that as I have no way of testing my theory:

First, you need two outputs, one for each version of the TOC. You can do this easy enough with Condition Tags.

Second, you need to have some way of telling the user's browser which version to display. For that, you'll probably need to talk to your developers.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
Glowin
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Glowin »

Thanks for the ideas kwag_myers.

The idea is that the users will be able to download training documents specific to their particular region of Europe.

You'll have to forgive me but I'm still pretty new to Flare/software development and have picked up someone else's document to carry on running with.

Currently they use a Tutorials.chm file in the TOC which is inactive until you download the training files via the application. I can keep the current solution but the only problem is that the tutorials are still shown in the chm format.

Thanks,
Gareth
heal
Propeller Head

Post by heal »

As an alternative you could create a topic to your project and call it, for example, “Downloading training material”.
Add the topic to your TOC.

Then it should not be necessary to add any code development to work.