silence installation and first activation

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
amichib
Jr. Propeller Head

silence installation and first activation

Post by amichib »

hi,

i'm trying to install and run flare on virtual machine, but i would like to do it in a

slient mode - no UI. i succeed to install with - msiexec /qn

but when I'm trying to open it or run it in the first time it asks me for license .

is there any way to install and run flare completely silent? ( batch mode from installation)

thanks!
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: silence installation and first activation

Post by RamonS »

Not that I know of...but what is the reason for running a completely silent install?
paulvickery
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by paulvickery »

Hi,

Has there been any progress on this in the last 9 years? :wink:

We too need to be able to silently install and activate Flare as we need to install it on an Azure Devop build agent. As these agents are periodically re-built, it is essential that we can install and activate without any user intervention.

I can see how we install silently, but without the activation this doesn't help us.

Thanks,

Paul.
robduff
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by robduff »

YMMV, but we've done it manually by adding registry entries immediately after the install. The registry entries we edited are:

Code: Select all

HKCU:\SOFTWARE\MadCap Software\Flare\License\ActivationMethod18 ("Internet")
HKCU:\SOFTWARE\MadCap Software\Flare\License\EmailAddress18 (<whatever your registered email is>)
HKCU:\SOFTWARE\MadCap Software\Flare\License\FirstName18 (<whatever your registered first name is>)
HKCU:\SOFTWARE\MadCap Software\Flare\License\InTrial18 ("False")
HKCU:\SOFTWARE\MadCap Software\Flare\License\LastName18 (<whatever your registered last name is>)
HKCU:\SOFTWARE\MadCap Software\Flare\License\LicenseKey18 (<whatever your license key is>)
HKCU:\SOFTWARE\MadCap Software\Flare\License\ProductKey18 ("MadCap Flare 2022 r3", or whatever the product name is)
The data type for all of those are "string". Rather than guessing at values, I'd suggest installing manually, checking out what those registry settings are set to, and then adjust your post-install script accordingly.

In addition, we also had to make sure the language selection dialog didn't come up on the first run:

Code: Select all

HKCU:\SOFTWARE\MadCap Software\Flare\License\RunSelectLanguageUIOnStartup ("False")
I hope that helps. When you get a new version of Flare, you'll likely need to update the names of the registry entries as the version number (in this case 18) appears to be embedded in the names. It's very possible we're missing something, but this was working for us.