Add a Div in the Master Page?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
erinep23
Sr. Propeller Head

Add a Div in the Master Page?

Post by erinep23 »

How can I add a div in the Master Page that will cause the body proxy to float left and the content of the div to float right? By "how", I mean what are the proper CSS properties I need to add to the div? I am looking to add content that will be on every page, like an extra menu on the right side...
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: Add a Div in the Master Page?

Post by kwag_myers »

For the CSS:

Code: Select all

div.rightmenu  {
    float: right;
} 
For the MasterPage, switch to Text Editor and add the div after <MadCap:bodyProxy>:

Code: Select all

<MadCap:bodyProxy />
<div class="rightmenu">		
        <MadCap:miniTocProxy /><!---or whatever menu, list, etc. you want-->
</div>
<MadCap:pageFooter>
Note that the menu is centered vertically. To force the div to the top of the page, you need to use the Position property instead.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

If you want the topic body text to flow to the left of the right-floated div, just put the div before the body proxy.
You don't need to use a position property.

I'd also suggest setting a width on the div; e.g. width: 35%;
erinep23
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by erinep23 »

Thank your for your replies, but that just made the topic float to the bottom ( I decided I wanted the menu on the right instead) See picture.

Do I need to put the body into its own div?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I'd guess that you haven't set a width on the floated element.

If you don't set a width on the floated element (except for images), then it's probably occupying the full width of the page, so the body text won't have room to flow around it.
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Post by kwag_myers »

You have to put them in a list, e.g., a ul with a list-style-type of none. Or, use Dave's suggestion of setting the width to just a few pixels higher than the largest link image (which looks like about 205px). This forces the images to wrap within that set width.

One potential issue I see with your screen shot is the link images are different widths. If you set the width of the float or put them in a ul, it's going to look like this:
rightsidemenu.png
I think you probably want to make those all the same size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard