Creating/saving a .chm file

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
adrianaharper
Propeller Head

Creating/saving a .chm file

Post by adrianaharper »

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to Flare and I am looking to just create a simple .chm file. However, when I go to save or create an output I don't see .chm as a file output type. Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance,
Adriana
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Creating/saving a .chm file

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome to the forums. :)

The official name of.chm output is Microsoft HTML Help, discussed here: http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... Output.htm

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
adrianaharper
Propeller Head

Post by adrianaharper »

Hi Nita, thanks for the link and for getting back to me so fast! Sorry - so this probably sounds really dumb. So I understand that the official name is Microsoft HTML Help; but is there an actual file type that Flare outputs with a .chm extension? Or when I generate or save a help file as online help, it creates a .html file and that is what is called a 'chm' so there is no such thing as an actual .chm file type? For example - I have a colleague who works remotely who has asked me to save my file as a .chm file and then put it on our network so he can open it with his Flare instance... how do I do this?

Thanks again in advance.
Adriana
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Please read the topic I pointed you to. But the short answer is that MS HTML output IS a single, compiled file whose extension is .chm. So your target type will be called HTML Help and Flare will generate a .chm file.

BTW, one does not need Flare to view a .chm file.

(Sorry I am being so brief. I am traveling...)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

adrianaharper wrote:I have a colleague who works remotely who has asked me to save my file as a .chm file and then put it on our network so he can open it with his Flare instance... how do I do this?
If the help is to be edited in a different instance of Flare you need to place the entire project onto the network share. The output (the CHM file) cannot be edited in Flare.

If your coworker indeed needs the CHM file then he should copy it off the network share to a local drive first before opening. CHM files cannot be opened from network shares for security reasons.
adrianaharper
Propeller Head

Post by adrianaharper »

I did read the link you sent, thank you. And my apologies, I'm not trying to be difficult but I'm not understanding. Is there an actual file generated with an extension of .chm? When I generate webhelp output I see a Content, Data, and Skin folder. I also see .htm files and a javascript file. But nothing with the file extension .chm.

When I look in the Content folder, I see more javascript files and more .htm files and an .xml document, but no files with the extension .chm. What am I missing?

Also - thanks for clarifying how my co-worker can access the files (whenever I figure out where it is!)

Thanks.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

My apology too. I'm traveling and tapping on my phone so must be brief.

If you are creating webhelp, you have selected the wrong type of output. Change the output type to HTML Help and then build that. You will end up with a single , compiled .chm file.
Nita
adrianaharper
Propeller Head

Post by adrianaharper »

WOW! Now I feel really dumb(of my own accord) - for some reason, I could not understand that webhelp and HTML help were different types of output... I've created a new project from an empty shell, and selected HTML help and there it is! I am very sorry for my ignorance - thanks again for answering :)

Safe travels.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Eureka! Glad we got you straightened out. And never feel "dumb" here. Keep asking questions!
Nita
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

You might want to peruse this topic, which describes the different kinds of outputs that Flare can generate: http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... t_Type.htm. In particular, open the section about Flare's online outputs. You will see that there are many.
Nita
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Microsft html help is really old school and not used often, it does have he nice feature of just being one file, Webhelp and html 5 help are much nice looking and have a lot of cool features
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer