Target Failing to Inject Empty Pages Correctly

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Tsiaris
Propeller Head

Target Failing to Inject Empty Pages Correctly

Post by Tsiaris »

I have my document set up so that each Chapter begins on a right page (i.e. using a First Right page layout).
In the same Layout File, I created an Empty Left Page layout so that it would have something to inject.
The document target is set to "Inject Empty pages as needed..." so that during generation, the target will correctly use the designated layout...

...except it doesnt.

Once I generate the PDF, it fails to inject a Empty Page, and instead forces the Chapter onto a right page layout (even though it's still sitting on a physical left page

Example:
L R
L R
R L <<<Chapter begins. First Right Fails, and subsequent pages are now off during print
R L

I've tried re-generating using Auto-End on left Enabled and Disabled. Doesn't change anything...
I've tried recreating my layout pages. Didn't work...
I've messed around with the Break Type. I don't recall seeing any differences...

It shouldn't be this freaking difficult to have your document auto-start your chapters on the right side of the document. This is absurd...
I've tried everything, I'm at my wits end.
Someone please help.... :| :| :|
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Target Failing to Inject Empty Pages Correctly

Post by doc_guy »

If injecting via the target isn't working, then you can go old-school and do this in the TOC. Right click on a topic that starts a chapter, and go to Properties. On the Printed Output tab, set "Auto-end on 'left' page" to enabled. See if that helps.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Titus
Propeller Head

Post by Titus »

I'm having the same problem as Tsiaris. I've tried every suggestion I could find in the forums.

The best I could do is set my first chapter page layout to "First Left" so that at least the page numbering is on the left side to start.

Any time I try to inject an empty page so that the first chapter starts on the right, it's ignored. Page numbering will start on the right, but it's a Left page...

I've played around with "Auto-end on left page"/"Inject empty pages as needed to ensure TOC nodes start on their selected pages", and all my page layouts have an Empty page included.
Titus
Propeller Head

Post by Titus »

Following up; has anyone else had this issue?
jasonsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by jasonsmith »

Random thoughts:
Does your layout file have a page with type "Empty" as well as "Right" and "Left"? I've never used the Empty Left and Empty Right page types. I generally copy the left page and delete the Body Content Frame.
Are your Chapter breaks set as Chapter breaks on the correct entries in the TOC?
Do your chapters start with h1 headings?
Titus
Propeller Head

Post by Titus »

Does your layout file have a page with type "Empty" as well as "Right" and "Left"? I've never used the Empty Left and Empty Right page types. I generally copy the left page and delete the Body Content Frame.
Are your Chapter breaks set as Chapter breaks on the correct entries in the TOC?
Do your chapters start with h1 headings?
Yes to all of the above...
jasonsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by jasonsmith »

Do your chapters have a different first page from the rest of the right pages? Do you have a 'normal' right page layout? Maybe you could try Setting your chapter break page layouts to Default instead of first right?
sjsmith001
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by sjsmith001 »

This thread best matched the problem ive been having with empty pages for two days now.

Im still confused whether I should use the TOC item's Topic Properties/chapter break/first-first right setting, or the Target/Advanced/'Inject empty pages....' setting. ive seen suggestions for one or the other or both. I tried all all combos and, I currently use both (and will test by removing the TOC item props). Didnt matter--nothing worked--my first-rights were using rights and I was not getting my blank left page.

Finally,I noticed I had two 'test' toc's and a 2nd test PDF target. I deleted all these extra items, and now my pdf output is using the correct first-right pages and injecting the empty left where it should. I suspect the extra TOC's were the problem.

hope this helps.
ksharkey9414
Propeller Head

Post by ksharkey9414 »

I'm having the same issue with chapter pages not beginning on the First Right. This is compounded by the fact that I can set the page layout for a topic 'till the cows come home, but the setting disappears the minute I close the file. This is how I'm setting the page layouts: I open a file, select the page layout from the drop-down list, save, and then go about whatever I'm doing. My "chapter" topics have three pages in their layouts: First Right, Normal, and Empty. Sometimes the chapters start on the first right (both when the previous chapter ends on a left and when there is an empty page inserted automatically, which is what should be happening) and sometimes they don't. I can't see any rhyme or reason as to how this happens. And when I look at the page layout selected for the first page of a chapter, it's almost always Normal rather than First Right. This is making me crazy! :? Any ideas out there?