Embed add-in .exe file possible?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
BarbP
Jr. Propeller Head

Embed add-in .exe file possible?

Post by BarbP »

I am running Flare 11 and my project is HTML5 output.

I am writing a procedure for external customers re: how to install an add-in and I'd like to embed the .exe file in the project so that they can download it right from the Install topic.

From what I've read, I don't think what I want to do is possible and instead, I'd need to create a link to it. Can I link to "File in Project" or does it have to link to an external file?

I've reached my technical limits with this one - can anyone offer advice?
Lydia
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Embed add-in .exe file possible?

Post by Lydia »

Hi, I think you can achieve this, I'm doing something like this with zip files. Create a folder in your project to hold the executable and put a copy in there. This is not mandatory, but useful to keep track of things. Then in the topic, create a link to that 'File in project'. This way it's an internal file and when you build the HTML5 output, the folder with the executable is copied to your output.
Now, if the executable is already in the place (e.g. same server), where you want to put your HTML5 Help, then you can also define the link as an external file and not have the executable inside your project.
Using Flare 10.2 and Flare 11 on Win 7
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Embed add-in .exe file possible?

Post by RamonS »

As Lydia wrote, you want to include it as a ZIP file. I'd expect businesses to have restrictions in place where executable files cannot be downloaded directly. Alternatively, add a simple download link to the file. I think that is commonly accepted and has the advantage that you do not need to drag that file around with your help. Although, that depends on how large it is. If it is a small file that is not really an issue.