Heading for Word

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Greg
Sr. Propeller Head

Heading for Word

Post by Greg »

When I produce Word output, my headings (which also have numbers) do not appear in the navigation pane.

How can I get it to appear there?

Also, if I add a section in Word, the numbering doesn't change. Is this a related issue?

Thanks
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Heading for Word

Post by wclass »

This is a known issue - Flare does not map any styles to standard Word ones. There are several options, both requiring post-processing in Word:
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
Greg
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Greg »

wclass wrote:This is a known issue - Flare does not map any styles to standard Word ones. There are several options, both requiring post-processing in Word:
Thanks for the links. The macros work and get the headings to appear in the navigation pane.

The problem that still remains is that the automatic numbering for the headings still don't work. Any solutions out there for this?

Thanks.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

Greg wrote: ...
Also, if I add a section in Word, the numbering doesn't change. Is this a related issue?
When Flare generates Word with numbered headings, it hard codes the numbers. Are you trying to add sections into Word once you have generated from Flare? If you are the numbers won't change.
When I need to create a Word document for review or further editing, I will generate from Flare without auto-numbering, and then apply an existing Word template that uses the more standard Word headings with numbers.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
GaryUK
Propeller Head

Post by GaryUK »

Yaaay - Flare 12 now maps the Flare headings to the Word headings, so you get a navigation panel. I used to get embarrassed telling people, "Here's your word version. Just don't expect a navigation panel." Not any more!

Now we just need them to get dropdown text to respect page-break-before in printed output.
djrussell
Propeller Head

Post by djrussell »

@GaryUK, Hi Gary. You mentioned that we can now map Flare 12 headings to Word headings when building Word output...where is that setting :) ? I've looked and looked and can't find it. This is an awesome new feature for sure - no more post changes in the Word output file :)
djrussell
Propeller Head

Post by djrussell »

@GaryUK...never mind my earlier question about where the setting is - I finally noticed that Flare 12 handles this automatically, it's not a user setting :)
TeSol
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TeSol »

How do you generate without Auto numbering?
I've looked for that option everywhere...somehow, not able to find it.

Please tell me how to do this. I use Flare 10.

Regards,
TeSol
GaryUK
Propeller Head

Post by GaryUK »

TeSol, it creates the Word navigation panel automatically when you generate the output, but you have to have Flare 12. Mine does it without numbered paragraphs, if that's what you mean.
TeSol
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TeSol »

Thanks Gary. Since I'm still on Flare 10, guess I will have to live with what is available until I upgrade. :(