OK to update topic after build?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
RBOWES
Propeller Head

OK to update topic after build?

Post by RBOWES »

Sometimes I need to make one small change to a single topic after I have handed off a completed project.
Can I just update the specific HTM file and ask the developers to replace the original file with the corrected file (no change to file name)? Or will that wreak havoc somehow with the TOC or other help system support files?

I tried this on a test project on my local computer and it seemed to work, but I'd prefer confirmation from those more experienced than I :)

Thanks!
Rebecca
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: OK to update topic after build?

Post by BedfordWriter »

I've done it more than once. Never had a problem.
RBOWES
Propeller Head

Post by RBOWES »

Thanks! That gives me more confidence.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

It'll not wreak havoc, but can have some minor side effects depending on what you change; e.g.
* The search and index will reflect the old topic, so for example you won't be able to search for a new term that you've added.
* If you change the topic heading/title, then the new heading won't be reflected in cross-references to the topic, topic titles in search results, etc.
RBOWES
Propeller Head

Post by RBOWES »

Thanks so much -- those caveats are good to know! In my current situation, none of the things that you point out are changing, so I feel reassured that I won't break anything. Thanks to you both for the helpful advice!