Any reason NOT to generate tagged PDF?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
whunter
Sr. Propeller Head

Any reason NOT to generate tagged PDF?

Post by whunter »

Corporate must have pushed out an Adobe Reader update, because suddenly when I try to open a PDF I get an annoying "preparing document for reading" message.
I produce some rather large PDFs, and I can imagine this process getting quite annoying.

I notice that if I enable "Generate Tagged PDF" in the target in Flare, I don't get the message anymore. Great! But, is there any reason I should NOT do this?
I poked around the Internet a tiny bit and did not find an immediate answer so I thought I'd ask this group. But I totally understand if the answer is complicated and I really need to research it.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Any reason NOT to generate tagged PDF?

Post by LTinker68 »

Total guess off the top of my head and with very limited Googling to see if I was right... I think tagged PDFs are supposed to help with screen readers for users with disabilities. Sort of the onscreen PDF version of a 508-compliant website. So whether or not you need to create tagged PDF depends on if you have disabled users. I have a small user group, none of whom need a screen reader, so I don't need to worry about it, but if I were producing something for public consumption, I would generate 508-compliance websites and tagged PDFs. Or you could generate two sets of PDFs -- one for screen readers and one for not.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.