Copy Index Terms to new Project

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
GeeShpherd
Jr. Propeller Head

Copy Index Terms to new Project

Post by GeeShpherd »

Is there a way to copy Index Terms to a new project? I am able to copy glossary definitions, and paste them into a new Flare project, however, when viewing the Index window, there is no option to copy/paste them. I have a lot of Index terms that would take more than a day to re-type all by hand.

I have also tried looking for the project folders trying to find an Index file that I might be able to copy, but no luck there neither.

So how can I copy Index Terms to a new Project without having to re-type everything.
Last edited by GeeShpherd on Tue May 24, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Copy Index Terms to new Project

Post by doc_guy »

Welcome to the forums!

Flare stores the index terms in the topics themselves. So the index terms only show up in the index window if they appear in a topic in your project.

Thus, there is no way to copy them from one project to another because there is no "master list" of index terms, it is just what Flare finds in the topic files.

If your target project doesn't have any index entries stored in the topics, then they won't be in the index.

So this is a manual, project-by-project setting.

Now, here is kind of a backwards way of doing what I think you want:

Create a new topic. In the topic add every index key word from your project. Mark this topic with a condition that never gets published with the project (so it doesn't accidentally get into your online output with a false index link).

Now, copy that new topic into your new project. All your index terms will be available so you can see them, and then you can apply them to content in your new project. Again, in this project also make sure you mark this topic with a condition that will never get built into the output.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Paul, have you ever used the auto-index feature? I never have, so I'm curious if you have, because I'm wondering if it saves the index terms in the topics in the development environment, too, or if it only adds them to the topics at build time? If it's the latter, then I don't think your solution would work.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I have had experience of auto-index, and no, it doesn't insert terms in the topics. (No idea what it DOES do so I can't offer any suggestions...)
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx