Blank variable definition?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
awells12
Propeller Head

Blank variable definition?

Post by awells12 »

I apologize if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find anything while searching the forums...

I have created a variable for version number and have added it to my page layout so it appears on the title page in the PDF target. However, not every document we create will use a version number so I just added a blank definition to the Version variable and selected it in the PDF target. Even though the blank definition is selected, the output is using the first definition listed. Is there another way I can leave the version number out without creating a whole new page layout?
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Re: Blank variable definition?

Post by techwriter31 »

Can you use a snippet instead? We use a snippet file for this purpose and it has worked great so far.
Kellie
s909
Propeller Head

Post by s909 »

try adding a space character in the definition. It might be ignoring it because it's empty
MattyQ
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MattyQ »

You could also apply a conditional tag to the version number so that it can be excluded for certain outputs. Like, maybe a "unversioned" tag that excludes version numbers throughout a system.
Jeong
Propeller Head

Post by Jeong »

In case anyone else ends up searching for this...
Yes, it is possible, but it only works if the blank variable definition is the first definition for that variable.
- Change the first variable definition to <hit the space bar a couple times> then in the Comments section, I've written "blank" so I can verify I'm selecting the correct row later on.
peter_ring
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by peter_ring »

If you edit target files in a text editor (internal or external), you can add a variable redefinition with an empty value, and it'll work.
But it'll disappear if it isn't the first definition in the flvar file and you subsequently use the target editor to change anything in the target file.

There's an unfortunate side effect of putting the blank value definition first in the flvar file: it's then also the default value, forcing you to redefine the value in all targets where it shouldn't be blank. Kind of lousy for variables that you use for cross-publication purposes, such as product release labels.

I experimented a bit with using invisible non-spacing characters such as Unicode U+2060 or Unicode U+2063, and they seem to work. That way, I can keep the most useful variable definition as the first in flvar file, and keep the 'blank' one down the list.