Connecting relationship proxy to specific relationship table

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
katie
Jr. Propeller Head

Connecting relationship proxy to specific relationship table

Post by katie »

Is it possible to specify which relationship table a relationship proxy draws from?

I would like to have two relationship proxies on a single page. However, I want one of those to display relationships laid out in Relationship Table A and the other to display relationships laid out in Relationship Table B. Is there any way I can do this, either through the interface or by interacting with the code directly?

Thanks!
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Re: Connecting relationship proxy to specific relationship t

Post by Msquared »

I don't think so, or at least, not easily, as the relationship table (or tables) to use are set at the target level. Feature request, perhaps?

What you can do, which may meet your needs, is have a single proxy that shows more than one subheading, with different topics listed under each. You differentiate these using the columns in the relationship table. The defaults are concept, task and reference, but you can change those to whatever you want, then allocate your topics accordingly. Then, in your stylesheet, you can define MadCap|relationshipsProxy styles that specify things like the heading text to use for each column etc. Instead of using the default style definitions like MadCap|RelationshipsHeading.concept, just replace the topic type with your column name, for example MadCap|RelationshipsHeading.<your-column>. I've done this in the past for a project - let me know if you need more details.

The other thing you could experiment with, if you are feeling really adventurous, is using different column names in the two relationship tables and different relationship proxy styles. I've not done this, but thinking it through, it may just work. When you place a relationship proxy, you have the opportunity to specify the style class you want to use for the relationship table. You could create two different style classes, one for each relationship table. Then in the first, set the text attribute to "hidden" for the topic types that correspond to the columns in the *second* relationship table, and in the second, set the text attribute to "hidden" for the topic types that correspond to the columns in the *first* relationship table. If that works, as I think it just might, then when you place a relationship table proxy and want the entries in the first table, apply the first style, and when you want the entries from the second table, set the second style. In both cases, all the entries from both tables will still be there, but the ones you don't want will be hidden.

I'd love to know if this works!
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.