TOC Heading appearing on separate page

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
VelocityGirl
Jr. Propeller Head

TOC Heading appearing on separate page

Post by VelocityGirl »

The heading for my TOC is appearing on a separate page to the rest of my entries in the TOC, no matter what I try.

I am using p.TOC headings throughout, which is working for everything else, but the "Contents" heading keeps appearing on a page of its own.

I have page break avoid set for after the heading, and page break avoid set before the TOC proxy, and still nothing. There are no local settings that should mess this up as far as I can tell.

I have drafts for a major project due this week and this is the only thing not working. HELP!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: TOC Heading appearing on separate page

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I suggest you set up a specific h1 style to apply to the word "Contents", call it h1.Contents (or call it Edward, but the first suggestion will probably be more meaningful).
Set the mc-heading-level to "0". Set page-break-after to "avoid".
On your Contents topic, apply h1.Contents to the paragraph that contains the heading, and then build. Shout if that doesn't work for you.

:-)
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
VelocityGirl
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by VelocityGirl »

Thanks for the reply but it's still not working - any other ideas?
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Can you show us the code behind the page that your TOC proxy is on, and the code for your h1 and h1.Contents from the medium that your PDF uses, and I'm sure we'll be able to figure it out. And also the code for MadcapTOCproxy in that medium.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I may be waaaay off base here, but I'll throw this out anyway.

By any chance do you have a contents topic AND, in the target, you've told Flare to auto-generate a TOC page? Those two things are not compatible. MadCap added the auto-generate TOC, Glossary, and Index a few Flare versions back as a "quick win" for someone who wanted to throw those things into a print target without having to first set up topics for them and put them on a print target's TOC.

If you have your own contents topic set up AND you have it on the print target's TOC, then be sure to TURN OFF the option in the target to auto-generate a TOC.

If you are telling Flare to auto-generate the TOC, then what you get is what you get. For example, I was so puzzled looking at a client's project once because I knew there was contents.htm with the heading "Contents" in it, but when I generated the print output, I got a generated table of contents with the heading "TOC" above it, and the whole thing didn't seem to be using the stylesheet we had set up. As soon as I turned off the auto-generate TOC option (and made sure that we had the contents.htm on the target's TOC), then all was golden.

(p.s. Some time later... I probably AM waaaay off base. Your problem probably is just a stylesheet issue, as Choccie's trying to help sort out.)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!