specify output location

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
cayennep
Sr. Propeller Head

specify output location

Post by cayennep »

I don't seem to be able to do anything but put any output to a top level (Output) > Target name

If I recall, this has always been the case. It's pretty problematic just now as I have two completely different things in there and it's getting really confusing as to where things are located.

any tips? or are we stuck with this?
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: specify output location

Post by wclass »

My tip is to leave the "output" in the Target set to the default, and then Publish to the correct location once it is verified as complete.
This successfully keeps the source topics separate from the final output, and lets you test as you go.
We had a problem in the past where one writer would set the output folder to something specific on their machine only, which caused errors when others tried to build the output. Using defaults and then publishing always solved this issue. We also have fewer problems with overwriting wanted output - keep in mind that the designated output folder can be cleaned out when building a new target.
If you have a problem with pathnames being too long, then move the whole project to something higher up in the folder structure.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
cayennep
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: specify output location

Post by cayennep »

hmm, that's a thought. but it's to git repositories, unluckily...

I've had a lot of trouble with both git and flare source control integration, but maybe worth looking into again as the git tools seem pretty buggy. I really want to just ftp and replace all existing content, so in fact I should revisit publishing from Flare - it may be a bit more like that than the current methods.
thanks for the suggestion, worth another look! It's pretty confusing as is, I'm having to move things around a lot and rename folders so we don't have directory structures like Support > support, esp since that top Support folder actually has a DNS pointing to it. Also, moving the top-level help and support output up a level each time is not ideal, and a bit risky for errors.