Default.htm generated when I want Index.html

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
mddent01
Propeller Head

Default.htm generated when I want Index.html

Post by mddent01 »

Hi,

Please help me. I am generating an HTML Help 5 deliverable and I have the Startup Topic set as /Content/index.html but when I build the Help a Default.htm is being created, and displayed when I view the Output from the Flare IDE.

Any idea why the Default.htm is being as created?

Thank you in advance

Michelle
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Default.htm generated when I want Index.html

Post by NorthEast »

In the target, set the output file name in the Output File box.

It's in the help: http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare2017r2/Content/Targets/Flare/More/Specifying-Output-File-Folder-in-Target.htm?Highlight=output file name

The Startup Topic is used to set the first topic displayed, if you don't want it to display the first topic from the TOC.
mddent01
Propeller Head

Post by mddent01 »

Hi

Yes I have those settings and yet when I try to view the content from the Build panel it automatically displays the Default.htm not the specified index.html.

Thanks
Michelle
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

You're confusing two different files.

The URL for a help topic in an HTML5 project looks like:
some/path/Default.htm#topic.html

Default.htm is the master file for the help system, the one which all help calls go through. You'll find it in the top folder of your help output (a level above the Content folder). This name can be changes by changing the output file name in the target, but if you don't specify this, the name Default.htm is used.

topic.html is a topic in the help system (a file in the Content folder). Your Index.html is there. This could be in other levels of folders (i.e. some/path/Default.htm#topics/topic.html if you put your topics in a folder called topics inside Content).

When you do not specify the #topic.html in this URL, the Default.htm loads the specified default topic. However, it doesn't change the URL that was called, so you will still see only some/path/Default.htm
This is equivalent to some/path/Default.htm#topic.html
And this is what happens when you view the output from Flare.
Brigit
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Brigit »

I've already answered your question in the LinkedIn group where you posted it as well. As devjoe says, you're mixing up two things, The Output File you set in your target shouyld not have a path, just a filename -- any file name, one you make up, and that could be index. Then, you also specify which topic should be shown on first startup and of course, that will have a path name.
I'm worried that you seem to have a topic file named index in your Contents folder. My guess is Flare will try to overwrite it with the index file it will generate if you follow the instructions in this topic and in the LinkedIn thread. Best rename that first!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Brigit wrote:I've already answered your question in the LinkedIn group where you posted it as well. As devjoe says, you're mixing up two things, The Output File you set in your target shouyld not have a path, just a filename -- any file name, one you make up, and that could be index. Then, you also specify which topic should be shown on first startup and of course, that will have a path name.
I'm worried that you seem to have a topic file named index in your Contents folder. My guess is Flare will try to overwrite it with the index file it will generate if you follow the instructions in this topic and in the LinkedIn thread. Best rename that first!
It shouldn't be overwritten - the output file that you set in the target (i.e. Default.htm / Index.htm) isn't in the Contents folder, it's in the root folder of the output.
mddent01
Propeller Head

Post by mddent01 »

Thanks for your replies. Just to clarify I don't think I was confusing the two fields.
I am aware that setting the Startup file will be the first topic that Flare displays, and regarding the Output File and Output Folder fields, Flare uses the settings to send the output files to the Output folder, and it uses a default name for the main entry file to the output. I am trying to ensure that I can use 'Index.html' for both fields.
Regards
Michelle