use of Home Masterpage across project-consequence?-[FIXED]

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

use of Home Masterpage across project-consequence?-[FIXED]

Post by M33R4 »

I’ve created a project using the Side navigation template. I like the footer at the bottom of the Home page in this template set. I have therefore used this Home page across my entire project. Is this a bad idea? Will it affect HTML5 output and/or PDF output please :?:
Last edited by M33R4 on Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Newbie to MadCap Flare
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: use of Home page template in entire project - consequenc

Post by NorthEast »

The footer is in the master page. So if you just want the footer in other topics, then copy the div with the footer into the Other-topics master page.
Tip - you could also put the footer in a snippet, so you only need to edit it in one place.

The Home.htm topic uses a lot of extra tags and CSS to create its layout, so it's probably not a good idea to copy the home page as the basis for every single topic.
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by M33R4 »

Dave Lee wrote:The footer is in the master page. So if you just want the footer in other topics, then copy the div with the footer into the Other-topics master page.
Tip - you could also put the footer in a snippet, so you only need to edit it in one place.

The Home.htm topic uses a lot of extra tags and CSS to create its layout, so it's probably not a good idea to copy the home page as the basis for every single topic.
Much appreciated - thank you :)
Newbie to MadCap Flare
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by M33R4 »

Dave Lee wrote:The footer is in the master page. So if you just want the footer in other topics, then copy the div with the footer into the Other-topics master page.

Hi Dave.

The footer was originally on the MasterPages > Home-Page.flmsp and fills the entire width which is what I want:
HomePageFooterEntireWidth.PNG
I've taken your advice and made this same footer into a Snippet and added this snippet to my MasterPages > Other-Topics.flmsp pages.

However, on the topic pages the footer snippet is falling short of taking up the entire width like the Home page does:
TopicPageFooterShorterWidth.PNG
I've not amended the body or margins in my CSS. The template is originally the Side Navigation template.

Any ideas how I can correct this please?

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newbie to MadCap Flare
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I suggest you look at the compiled page and see what that footer is inside of (divs?) and then look at the padding and margin of those elements. It can feel a bit like Sherlock Holmes territory, but you'll get there.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Try something like:

1) Remove the padding around the topic:
.body-container { padding: 0; }

2) In the master page, put the topic body proxy (but not the footer) inside a div with some padding; e.g. div.my-topic
div.my-topic { padding: 1em; }
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by M33R4 »

I've resolved the footer issue. It is now filling the entire width of all my pages and it is no longer touching the end of the body text. This was done in the Stylesheet as follows:

Add a Selector by right-clicking the DIV and calling it something like topics-footer.
Then add the following Properties:
topics-footer-csscoding.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newbie to MadCap Flare