Global project and translated legal content

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
Kate_
Jr. Propeller Head

Global project and translated legal content

Post by Kate_ »

I have a Global project which houses our legal documentation (privacy policy, retention policy, etc.) in 36 translated languages. I need these languages to cascade down to 5 separate projects for various audiences. We have a bank of links (via a snippet) at the top of each policy that links to the 36 translated policy topics. Our previous writer set this up, but her transition documentation hinted that there may be a better way to do this since we have so many translated languages now (previously it was 12). Where I'm stuck is that she had all 20-ish translated files in each of the 5 help centers and I feel like this negates having the content live in the Global project entirely.

Her transition documentation explains the setup below:
Common topics (i.e., legal policies) are pulled into all help centers, and therefore must be single-sourced. The content for these translations is stored as snippets in the Global Help Center and automatically pulled into the dependent help centers via a Global Import file within each help center.

The hitch in these translations was that we had to implement intra topic links to all of the translations. (This decision made more sense when we only had a handful of translations – you might want to rethink this moving forward.) To ensure that these links work correctly, the structure of the topics (folder structure and file naming) must be identical between the Global project and dependent projects. You will see this is how it exists at this time- just make sure you maintain this consistency moving forward.

You will see in the Global project that the translated content for these topics lives in 2 places – a folder in the Content Explorer, and a Snippet file in the Resources folder (Content Explorer). The reason for this is that in order to maintain the intra topic links, I had to create the topic content in the same file/folder structure as they will exist in the dependent projects.

Is there a better way to do this? There has to be... right? Our legal team is going to review and make updates to these documents annually and updating 36 languages in 6 help centers is a beast to manage.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Global project and translated legal content

Post by NorthEast »

What's the problem that is a beast to manage?

I'm assuming all of the 6 help centres need to include all of this common/global content, in all 36 languages.
And if all of this common/global content is stored in the global project only, then I'd assume the process is:

1) Update common content in global project only (not in help centre projects).
2) Run the reimport in each help centre project, to get new/updated files from the global project.

So if you're doing a reimport in each of your 6 help centre projects once per year, it doesn't sound too bad to manage.
You're only editing content in the global project, and there's no editing required in the actual help centre projects?