Unable to publish to SharePoint since 2021 r3 upgrade

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
BrianAtInTouchHealth
Propeller Head

Unable to publish to SharePoint since 2021 r3 upgrade

Post by BrianAtInTouchHealth »

Hi,

Prior to upgrading to Flare 2021 r3 I was able to publish to SharePoint. Since upgrading it fails every time and I get a "Publish failed: Value cannot be null" error. I sometimes got that error in the past when I was logged out of SharePoint. (We get automatically logged automatically every other week.) However, I confirmed I'm logged in. In addition, I can open SharePoint folders in Flare's SharePoint Explorer tab.

I called Tech Support and they suggested deselecting "Include JavaScript for CSH" but that didn't help. However, I can still publish to our network drive without issues. They said they would call back so crossing my fingers now.

Brian
Flare :flare: + Analyzer :analyzer: 2022, Central, Capture :capture: 7.0, Mimic :mimic: 8.1
DarcieC
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Unable to publish to SharePoint since 2021 r3 upgrade

Post by DarcieC »

I am experiencing this same issue. Have you found a resolution yet?
BrianAtInTouchHealth
Propeller Head

DarcieC,

Yes. As mentioned above I had a call with MadCap Technical Support. Prior to the issue I had mapped the destination folder on the company SharePoint by doing the following:
  1. Navigated to the folder on the company SharePoint in Office 365.
  2. Selected the folder and then selected Add shortcut to My Files.
On the call we did the following:
  1. Opened the destination file.
  2. Deleted the old SharePoint URL.
  3. Clicked the three ellipses next to the Destination Directory field and navigated to the mapped SharePoint folder
Brian
Flare :flare: + Analyzer :analyzer: 2022, Central, Capture :capture: 7.0, Mimic :mimic: 8.1
DarcieC
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by DarcieC »

Thank you for this information. I guess my problem is a little different. We were not previously publishing Flare project files to an onsite SharePoint, because Flare is brand new to us. I am a new Flare author and the only one at our institution. I am completely self-taught, having just begun learning Flare and Central in October of 2021. I also have virtually NO technical expertise going into this venture, and I am not a member of our IT/IS department. However, I am working with our IS head to resolve this issue. My institution is using the modern SharePoint Online.

I have taken the steps you describe above, and I have been able to upload my Flare project files successfully to SharePoint, but once they are there, our IS says, "it just downloads the home page instead of displaying it in the browser." (We want that specific function: to display in the browser.) MadCap keeps telling us that this is a SharePoint configuration issue, but our IS has followed all of MadCap's suggestions (as well as doing independent research with Microsoft's online resources), and nothing has helped so far. Do you have any tips regarding SharePoint settings, or is your company content with just a download of the home page?

We (our IS) may end up having to contact Microsoft/SharePoint support to see if they have any suggestions. But if you have any ideas or suggestions, I would be much obliged!

(btw, we can and have been publishing to MadCap Central, but it is not the best solution for our organization)
BrianAtInTouchHealth
Propeller Head

DarcieC wrote:our IS says, "it just downloads the home page instead of displaying it in the browser." (We want that specific function: to display in the browser.) MadCap keeps telling us that this is a SharePoint configuration issue, but our IS has followed all of MadCap's suggestions (as well as doing independent research with Microsoft's online resources), and nothing has helped so far. Do you have any tips regarding SharePoint settings, or is your company content with just a download of the home page?

We (our IS) may end up having to contact Microsoft/SharePoint support to see if they have any suggestions. But if you have any ideas or suggestions, I would be much obliged!
Unfortunately, we are seeing the same behavior now. :cry: The tech writers met with our devs on Tuesday and they are hopeful the problem will be solved but it hasn't happened yet.

Brian
DarcieC
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by DarcieC »

Please keep me in the loop if they find a resolution! We would really appreciate knowing how they tackle this.
Marmot
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Marmot »

(Flare version 2023r2)

I also had that error (Publish failed: Value cannot be null.) while trying to publish to SharePoint.

In my case, the issue was that in the Destination file, I had unchecked the Upload Log File box. Called MadCap Support who advised that box has to be checked.

Once checked, no more error.

I plan to submit a feature request for the checking of that box to no longer be mandatory. We don't need to publish log files to SharePoint.