Manipulating TOC Proxy

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
riddles_three
Jr. Propeller Head

Manipulating TOC Proxy

Post by riddles_three »

Hello,
I am currently tasked with importing a Word manual into Flare for print/PDF output. (I will also set it up for HTML5 output in a future revision.) For now, the task is mainly to make the output look as close as possible to the original manual from Word. The TOC in the Word manual has a few quirks that are posing a challenge for me:
  • an entry in the TOC for a heading called, "Warning" is labeled as "Side Effects" in the TOC.
  • an entry for a reminder list on the back cover is labeled as, "Reminders" with "back cover" instead of a page number. This reminder list is set up as part of my title page and does not get picked up in the TOC proxy.
I am currently using the auto-generate TOC option and am thinking that doing the above will only work with a manually created TOC.

My questions with regards to auto-generated TOC:
Is there any way to rename a TOC heading via some property that I have not yet discovered?
Is there a way to inject a TOC entry for topic that appears before or after the Contents topic (which contains the TOC proxy)?

Due to confidentiality agreements, I am unable to share screen captures. Thanks in advance for any insight.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Manipulating TOC Proxy

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

You get a lot more control in Flare by using a manually created TOC, as you can add a topic to contain the TOC proxy and then put the TOC topic wherever you like (rather than it being plonked right at the front, as happens with an automatic TOC). I know it's a bit of work, but it will be worth doing - particularly if you're going to use the same TOC for your HTML5 output. Best of luck, and welcome to Flare.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx