Crash due to git (?) (!)

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
LarsLyhne
Propeller Head

Crash due to git (?) (!)

Post by LarsLyhne »

Hi
Flare crashes before project is loaded.

The error seemingly stems from git! Here's the dump:

<MadCapExceptionLog protocol="1" executable="Flare" executableVersion="18.1.8353.25537" localDate="2023-01-18T09:27:50.6562732+01:00">

<OS arch="x64" frameworkVersion="4.0.30319.42000" version="Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19045.0"/>

<Exception type="System.NullReferenceException" message="Objektreferencen er ikke indstillet til en forekomst af et objekt." source="B3.SourceSafeKit" stackTrace=" ved B3.SourceSafeKit.GitProvider.GetPendingChanges(IUrl url, Boolean contactServer) ved B3.CatapultMdiEditorKit.CatapultMdiEditor.<>c__DisplayClass412_1.<AttachToSourceControl>b__1(Object <p0>, EventArgs <p1>) "/>

<User machineID="50add83d3a5fe602afdd518eaadf926ca75c2f56"/>

I can't even go to see what the menu Source control does.

Should I reinstall without Source Control?

BR Lars

</MadCapExceptionLog>
Kind regards

~ Lars Lyhne ~
www.retext.dk
shoose
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Crash due to git (?) (!)

Post by shoose »

I just began having this same problem also. The error I get is:

Code: Select all

at B3.SourceSafeKit.GitProvider.GetPendingChanges(IUrl url, Boolean contactServer)
   at B3.CatapultMdiEditorKit.CatapultMdiEditor.<>c__DisplayClass411_1.<AttachToSourceControl>b__1(Object <p0>, EventArgs <p1>)
Followed by this:

Code: Select all

at B3.SourceSafeKit.GitProvider.GetPendingChanges(IUrl url, Boolean contactServer)
   at B3.FileBrowserKit.FileBrowser.<AttachRfs>b__401_0()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

If I copy the project out of Git control elsewhere on my computer, I can open it normally. But as long as it remains in the Git repo, Flare crashes every time I open it. I have not been able yet to determine the cause or the fix.
shoose
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by shoose »

I have a help ticket open with MadCap, so I'll let you know what I find out.
r_gigante
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by r_gigante »

Same issue here! Let's hope they react quickly.
EDIT
This is proved to happen with 2021r3, 2022r2 and 2022r3. As soon as the .git folder is removed and the .flprj file is updated to detach from git, the issue disappear
r_gigante
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by r_gigante »

I've found, at least on my project, the root cause!
It's connected to the presence in the project of extra-long file path names (the complete path to the file plus the filename) that exceeds 256 characters. As soon as even one file is present featuring such long name, Flare badly crashes if the project is bound to git. Viceversa, if the project contains such a file but is not connected to git, Flare seems to work.

This filename length limitation is strong limitation nowadays and this is affecting both Flare and Lingo (here it's even worst). A proper file handling redesign seems needed here.

@LarsLyhne @shoose: can you confirm this finding on your projects?