Showing different content from a single HTML page?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
elin_decker
Propeller Head

Showing different content from a single HTML page?

Post by elin_decker »

I'm a total newbie with Flare, so my apologies if this is all very basic!

Can I have a single HTML page with a long list of documents that are tagged with conditions, and let the users select which set (condition) of docs to view? I'm trying to avoid having a separate HTML page for each condition.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Re: Showing different content from a single HTML page?

Post by trent the thief »

Hi Elin,

Sorry, Flare isn't able to do that on it's own.

But depending on your goal there are other approaches. Homer Christensen did a flitering system in flare that could work for you. It's based on the glossary.

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/blog/cre ... -snippets/
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare:
elin_decker
Propeller Head

Post by elin_decker »

Trent, I appreciate the link to the filtering system info. That looks like a great solution, but a bit advanced for me at the moment. Once we've migrated into Flare I'll have more time to play around with it. :) Thanks!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

In short, it's definitely possible, but Flare has nothing built-in that will handle dynamically showing/hiding content in the output.

The basic idea is that you mark/tag the content with something like a condition tag, or a class or ID - something that you can actually see in the HTML code in your output. (Conditions work here because you can see them in the HTML output as 'data-mc-conditions' attributes.)
Then you write some JavaScript that shows/hides the content that you've marked.
You also need to add a control, like a dropdown list or radio buttons, so the user can select what to display.

The idea has come up quite a few times in the forums, and this is one solution by Thomas Trenger that uses a version filter to show/hide content that's marked with condition tags.
http://tregner.com/flare-blog/version-f ... l5-output/

You can also take this a step further if you want to remember what the user has selected. You can do this in your script by saving their choice in the browser's local storage (a bit like using a cookie), and then retrieve their choice from local storage the next time they open your help, so it's automatically applied. If you know JavaScript or have access to a developer, this is quite an easy job.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Post by trent the thief »

Great info. I've also been wishing MC would implement some conditional topic display logic.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare: