Individual guide TOC in nav pane instead of complete doc set

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Louise Bennett
Propeller Head

Individual guide TOC in nav pane instead of complete doc set

Post by Louise Bennett »

Hi all,

We produce our doc set in an HTML5 project using side nav. There are many individual guides that make up the doc set, and these are grouped by task. We have top level categories of Installation, Planning, Configuration, etc, and each guide is listed under an appropriate category. So when a user is reading a topic, an example nav path might be Installation > ABC Install Guide > About this guide.

This all works OK, but with a really big docset, (200 plus guides), the nav pane is huge. It also has the annoying tendency to jump around so that the selected link for the currently viewed topic is not always at the top of the nav pane. So I am wondering if it is possible to launch a different nav pane when I select a guide. So for example, when I choose the Installation > ABC Install Guide > About this guide topic mentioned above, it actually opens the TOC for only the ABC Installation Guide in the nav pane instead of the whole doc set. There could be a back button to return to the nav pane for the whole doc set.

What I am describing is actually very like the behaviour of the nav pane in tablet mode, where the parent level nav slides out of view when a child node is selected. But I want to do it in the normal web medium. Any ideas?

Louise.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Re: Individual guide TOC in nav pane instead of complete doc set

Post by trent the thief »

Hi Louise,

That's a bear of a task. You can implement live filtering: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/blog/how ... re-project. Someone on Slack has done what you're looking to do, but I can't remember who did it. I asked on Slack, but you might want to visit, too.

If you aren't on Slack, PM me your email address for an invitation.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare: