Topic not found in search results

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
JDTS
Jr. Propeller Head

Topic not found in search results

Post by JDTS »

I generate HTML output with a search function. After building and publishing this output, a specific topic cannot be found by the search function, and I cannot seem to figure out what causes this.

This is the problem:
1) The HTML output contains the topic ‘Algemene rapportagecodes.htm’ (General report codes.htm), the h1 being ‘Algemene rapportagecodes’ (General report codes).
2) When I search the output for the term “Algemene rapportagecodes”, this does not produce any results.
3) The following, however, does work:
- The topic can be found in the navigation structure as displayed in the output.
- In the properties of the topic, ‘Searchable’ has been checked.
- When searching for terms that occur in the topic ‘Algemene rapportagecodes.htm’ outside the h1, the topic does show up in the search results.
- Topics with a name longer than ‘Algemene rapportagecodes’ do show up when I search for the literal h1 of the topic.

I generate multiple HTML outputs that contain this topic. This problem occurs in all outputs, even if I build them again. The build log does not show any errors; therefore, the problem is not caused by an error that emerged during the building process.

I am looking for possible causes of this problem. Does anyone have ideas/thoughts?
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Topic not found in search results

Post by Psider »

Does ‘Algemene rapportagecodes’‘ appear in other topics and those topics also do not show up when you search for those words? I assume this is the case because of point #2 but figure it's worth double-checking.

Perhaps those words are in the stop words list?
JDTS
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by JDTS »

Thank you for responding so quickly. The term "Algemene rapportagecodes" appears in other topics (and these topics are found when searching), but not in the h1 of other topics. These words are not in the stop words list.

While testing this I actually found out that topics that are on a very 'deep' level in the TOC have this same issue. Is it possible that the Flare search engine in HTML output does not work when the corresponding path in the TOC or Content Explorer is too long? :|
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

My only other thought is if the words are surrounded by other tags, maybe that could affect them getting in to the search results. Perhaps check a few examples that aren't working to see if the html code looks different from working examples.

Other than that, checking all the search settings to see if anything sounds relevant/is/isn't set, although I admit that's clutching at straws. https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... rching.htm

Hopefully someone else has better ideas. :)
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Yep, perhaps give examples of the actual HTML code in and around the h1 tag.
Also, what CSS is applied to the h1 - does it use anything special like applying autonumbers (mc-autonumber-) or conditions (mc-conditions)?

Lastly, you mention "After building and publishing..." - so just to check, have you tested this in the local built output too (before it's published) ? Just you need to confirm it's a problem in the Flare build, otherwise it could be a problem with the server where the output is published.
JDTS
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by JDTS »

This is the HTML code in and around the h1 tag:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<html xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd" xml:lang="nl">
    <head>
        <link href="../../Resources/TableStyles/Standaard.css" rel="stylesheet" MadCap:stylesheetType="table" />
        <link href="../../Resources/Stylesheets/My precious.css" rel="stylesheet" />
    </head>
    <body>
        <h1>Algemene rapportagecodes</h1>
        <p>Text</p>
This is not different from other topics that can be found correctly when searching. There is no special CSS applied to the h1, just the CSS that is also applied to all other h1s.

I have tested this in local built output and the problem still occurred. I have also checked all search settings and nothing seems to help yet... I will try to delete this specific topic and add it again and see if that solves anything :roll: