PDF not using my page layout

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Nina Esile
Sr. Propeller Head

PDF not using my page layout

Post by Nina Esile »

I have selected a particular page layout for my PDF target. I can see it on the screen when applied to the topic. But when I generate the output, the PDF is created without the page layout. It has a different page layout.

What's interesting is that if I preview it, I see the correct page layout and I can print it as PDF from there.

The other issue is that I have an extra page, which seems to be a plague in Flare.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: PDF not using my page layout

Post by Nita Beck »

Examine the TOC(s) you use for that PDF. Look at the properties of those TOC items on which there is applied a chapter break or a page break. In the Properties window for one of those TOC items, how is the Page Layout field set on the Printed Output tab? Is it set to "(default)", in which case it will use the page layout that you've set as the default for the target? Or, is it set to a different page layout, meaning it will override the page layout set on the target? If yes, that's the issue.

Regarding the empty page, also in on Printed Output tab, how is the Auto-end on 'left' page field set? If Enabled, that's the (most likely) issue.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Nina Esile
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Nina Esile »

Hi Nita,

I hope you are enjoying retirement. And thank you for helping out even though you *are* retired!

I am stumped because I *have* set the properties for the TOC item to use the QuickStart page layout, as in this screen shot. It's a one page document.
Flare help.png
In addition, I have Auto-end on 'left' page Disabled.

This is what it looks like in the Flare workspace:
Flare-working window..png
This is what it looks like when I preview it:
QSG Preview.png
But when I build a PDF, this is what I get:
QSG-PDF.png
I appreciate any insight you may have!

Nina
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I notice that you don't have either a chapter break or page break set. What happens if you set either, and be sure to specify which specific page in the page layout file you want to use for that break?

(Retirement so far is fun, although I admit to feeling a bit unmoored some days. Still sorting out just what it is I want to do [as opposed to what I do not want to do]. I have such affection for the Flare community that I check in now and then. And, BTW, it was nice seeing your name pop up. It was many MadWorlds ago when we met, yes?)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Nina Esile
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Nina Esile »

Yes, Nita! We met many MadWorlds ago. Cannot forget your friendly nature and ability to cross the divide. We all benefit when you're around, so don't disappear!

I will try your suggestions and let you know how it goes. I don't always work in Flare, but am now for a long-time client. I sometimes forget specific details between Flare engagements. :lol:
Nina Esile
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Nina Esile »

I tried your suggestions and they made no difference. It's so strange. I may end up using tech support.
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Post by Vibeke B »

I also have a situation with the pagelayout which is strange. For many of my files, I get the message (I have shortened the path)
BoxLayout: Missing page layout file C:\git\... \flare\Output\Content\Resources\PageLayouts\PrintLayout.flpgl

PrintLayout.flpgl is indeed my default page, as set up in the project properties, but this is not the correct path (it is not located under the Output folder), which is of course why it cannot find it there, but why is it even looking there? It prints fine, but I even when I select the correct pagelayout file in the editor, it does not keep this change. And I still wonder why it is looking the wrong place.
_[shapeonthewall]_
Propeller Head

Post by _[shapeonthewall]_ »

I'm afraid I can't answer the original question, but I too have discovered a surprise issue with some page layouts. My discovery was that the PDF targets for Product X had a legacy page layout and stylesheet set in the target's properties, but those settings are being ignored by Flare and, instead, the PDF output is using the correct page layout and stylesheet - even though those aren't specified in the target! It's kind of nice that my oversight has not resulted in an obsolete PDF being published, but at the same time, I want to know why this happened.

Is there a master page layout setting somewhere? I'm thinking that the PDF targets in question are being output according to some setting with higher precedence.
Flare 2023 r2 bound to Azure DevOps TFS
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

The
_[shapeonthewall]_ wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:27 amIs there a master page layout setting somewhere? I'm thinking that the PDF targets in question are being output according to some setting with higher precedence.
The Primary Page Layout that you can set in the target (or Project Properties) is just the default page layout to use.

But you can set the page layout for individual items (topics) in the TOC - as Nita suggested in the first reply:
Nita Beck wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:10 pm Examine the TOC(s) you use for that PDF. Look at the properties of those TOC items on which there is applied a chapter break or a page break. In the Properties window for one of those TOC items, how is the Page Layout field set on the Printed Output tab? Is it set to "(default)", in which case it will use the page layout that you've set as the default for the target? Or, is it set to a different page layout, meaning it will override the page layout set on the target? If yes, that's the issue.
_[shapeonthewall]_
Propeller Head

Hi, thanks for your reply. However, I checked whether the TOC items (for the PDF outputs in question) specified a page layout, but they don't. They don't have breaks specified or page layouts.

There must be a place elsewhere in my project that's controlling the page layout and stylesheet for PDF targets. I'll keep looking... and report back when I find it!
_[shapeonthewall]_
Propeller Head

Well... I feel sheepish. I was looking at a legacy PDF target file instead of its newer counterpart. I just needed to finish an archiving job that I'd started last week and remove those legacy target files. There is nothing wrong with the live targets or the TOCs. (I've been struggling with insomnia for a few weeks and I'm not operating at an optimal level... hmm.)