Global configuration for targets?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
stanhaas
Jr. Propeller Head

Global configuration for targets?

Post by stanhaas »

Is it possible to create a global configuration for all our targets? So that when we change a setting all our targets are updated automatically?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Global configuration for targets?

Post by NorthEast »

If the targets are completely identical, then you could use a project import (also called global project linking).

So you'd have a master/parent project with the target, and each child project would have a project import that imports the target (*.fltar) file.
The import can be run manually, or run automatically when you start a build in the child project.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Global configuration for targets?

Post by doloremipsum »

This doesn't seem to be the normal way of doing it, but just thought I'd throw it out there - for our PDFs, I just use a single target for each brand and change the TOC whenever I need to publish a different document. This allows me to keep all of our docs in a single project so they can share topics/snippets between them, but you don't need to have a separate target for each one (esp. important in our case because each doc needs to be published in multiple different brandings, so there would be a huge number of targets if we wanted one per doc per branding!)

However, this doesn't work for most HTML5 outputs because different online helps have different CSH files, microcontent, search filters and so on.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.