Flare on Mac M3

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Azephine
Jr. Propeller Head

Flare on Mac M3

Post by Azephine »

Hello Flare community!
This is not a cry for help, but a sharing of experience.
With the new Apple M3 chips coming out, some might have concerns about how to run Flare on these machines.

I have just done the installation successfully and wanted to share my experience for the next adventurous writer out there.
Here's my configuration:
- MacBook Pro 2023 with M3 Pro chip
- Parallels 19
- Windows 11 Pro
- Flare 2023 R2

Attempting to install Flare directly from the .exe file will likely fail with the following message "The setup was cancelled. The installation was cancelled and no changes were made."
Here's what you need to do to install properly:
1. Download and install the latest Visual C++ package package for ARM64 here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/w ... w=msvc-170
2. Remove other versions of Visual C++ from your machine. Not sure that's always required, but I had to do it.
3. Launch the installation of Flare and make sure that you install in the following location C:\Program Files (Arm)\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare 19. By default, Flare will install in the normal Program Files folder, but that will not work. It needs to be in the ARM Program Files folder.

Now you're good to go!
Nolwenn Marjou
Senior Technical Writer
:flare: Messing with Flare for 10 Years
dajosecoker
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Flare on Mac M3

Post by dajosecoker »

Hi Nolwenn,
Thanks for this post.
I am MadCap Software's Product Marketing Manager. I am looking for blog post contributors and authors, especially on the subject of Installing and Using Flare on Macs.
Would you be interested in contributing to updating an existing blog post?
Link to the existing: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/blog/can ... ac-oh-yes/

This would be in collaboration with Flare Guru Nita Beck who wrote the original article.
Send me a DM if you are interested.

Thanks

Dipo
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Hi Dipo!
dajosecoker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:20 am This would be in collaboration with Flare Guru Nita Beck who wrote the original article.
That isn't quite right. As I wrote in the Slack community, my role will be to help find folks to collaborate on the refresh / replacement of my original article. I haven't kept my Mac VM up to date in anticipation of my retirement this past summer, so I don't have anything new to offer. But I have volunteered to offer guidance to the author(s) and even to review drafts and offer feedback. But I won't be an author this time.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
dajosecoker
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by dajosecoker »

Hi Nita,
sorry about the misunderstanding.
I stand corrected.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

dajosecoker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:57 am Hi Nita,
sorry about the misunderstanding.
I stand corrected.
We're all good, my friend! ;)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!