Is it possible to link to a web-based video that is not YouTube or Vimeo?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
JeanLR1970
Jr. Propeller Head

Is it possible to link to a web-based video that is not YouTube or Vimeo?

Post by JeanLR1970 »

Wondered if anyone has tried this or found a workaround. Flare help says that "You can only add YouTube and Vimeo files from the web". We'd like to save instructions on a separate company-controlled website and have users open them from the Flare HTML output. Is this possible? If so, how would I do it?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Is it possible to link to a web-based video that is not YouTube or Vimeo?

Post by NorthEast »

You can still just manually insert the video in the same way as you would on any web page.

So if you're hosting the video on your own site (like a mp4 file), then just use a <video> tag and point it to the video URL.

https://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_video.asp
JeanLR1970
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by JeanLR1970 »

Thanks for the information.
Does this only work if you add the <video> tag with the URL to the generated output HTML?
I get an Invalid message if I add the <video> tag in the Flare topic.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

No, you can add the video tag to the source.
I use video tags like the example code below, to include a track caption/subtitle file (because that's not supported by Flare).

Code: Select all

<video id="video1" controls="">
    <source type="video/mp4" src="Videos/Video1.mp4" />
    <track kind="captions" src="Videos/Video1.txt" srclang="en" label="English captions" />
</video>
If you're getting messages that the document isn't valid, then I'd guess that you've included code that isn't valid XHTML. Flare uses XHTML for topics, which is a stricter form of HTML.
One common reason for invalid XHTML is that you can't use shorthand/minimised notation for attributes - so you can't use <... controls> and have to include the value (even if blank) like <... controls="">.
(https://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.5)