Flare will not accept Git credentials

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
mscaroline
Jr. Propeller Head

Flare will not accept Git credentials

Post by mscaroline »

I'm moving to a new computer, so have installed Flare 2023 r2. When I go to import my projects from our Git server (File > New Project > Import from Source Control), I get to the point where I am to specify the project file. When I click Browse, Flare opens a progress window that says it's cloning the git repository, then asks for credentials. I enter my credentials... and it asks for credentials. Over and over. When I finally give up and cancel out of the credentials window, the error message says "Too many redirects or authentication replays."

I've tried setting the credentials via Windows Credentials Manager, deleting the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MadCap Software\Flare folder in regedit, importing the projects to my machine via TortoiseGit and then opening in Flare (Flare acts like it's just a local project until I ask it to pull, at which point Flare knows where the remote project is, asks for credentials and we're right back to the same problem). Plus probably a few things I can't remember at this point. Anyone have any insight or ideas here?
stre
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Flare will not accept Git credentials

Post by stre »

Hi mscaroline. Have you made any progress on this issue since your last post?

We're getting the same behavior here, this time for pushing projects that are already bound to git. The Log in dialog will showing up again and again until we get the "Too many redirects or authetication replays : could not autenticate" error.

This started with an older Flare release and remains after an update to the latest version. We can log in to the remote git repo via the browser, which points to the issue being on the Flare side.

I think this is not the first time my team has had this issue. If I remember correctly, it just got back to normal, without us finding a cause/solution.

I'll post here any pointers Custumer Support might send by us.
dmorga1
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by dmorga1 »

We are running Flare 2023 and GitHub and everything was OK up through December 2023. I hopped into a project the other day and now Flare 2023 won't connect to GitHub and gives an authentication error. Something has changed--I can log in directly to GitHub, so that's not it. I did see in a separate recent thread that someone talked to Madcap and their recommendation was Git for Windows. I will give them a call and verify if that's the case.
dmorga1
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by dmorga1 »

Resolved: In my case, my org changed from a regular network user/pw login to SSO, and this redirect was breaking Flare's authentication process since it couldn't directly reach GitHub that way anymore. I was advised by my IT to use a token instead, and Madcap's very helpful tech support walked me through creating the personal account token in GitHub, and I'm back up and running, using the token as my password in the source control authentication login.