Link targets have no breadcrumbs

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
VickeryC
Jr. Propeller Head

Link targets have no breadcrumbs

Post by VickeryC »

I have an odd problem. In my HTML5 output, when I click a link (whether just a normal inline link within a page or a generated Related Link from the reltable), the resolved page shows exactly as expected, except the breadcrumbs at the top of the page are blank and the URL does not include the .htm extension at the end.

For example:
This page, when reached from the nav, is fine: https://support.strivr.com/faqs/captive ... usable.htm
The same page, when reached from a link, resolves as https://support.strivr.com/faqs/captive-portal-unusable (note the htm is gone) and has no breadcrumbs.

This just started happening and I have not modified existing links, yet all of them are behaving this way.

Any ideas?
Last edited by VickeryC on Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VickeryC
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Link targets have no breadcrumbs

Post by VickeryC »

Further info--when I build and view this target locally, the links work as expected with the htm extension.
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paul Griffiths »

Just checking ... presumably "just started happening" didn't coincide with a Flare upgrade?
VickeryC
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by VickeryC »

Paul Griffiths wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:07 am Just checking ... presumably "just started happening" didn't coincide with a Flare upgrade?
It did not--but I did try installing the latest version of Flare in an attempt to fix the problem. It did not help.
VickeryC
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by VickeryC »

Just to close the loop here--although I don't think anyone was watching with bated breath--this issue disappeared when we moved the hosting of the site. It will remain unsolved, cloaked in mystery and perhaps spoken of around a campfire at midnight.
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlexFox »

Did you ensure this option was checked in the advanced target settings?

(Advanced > Synchronize navigation elements with TOC entries) - In case the image doesn't work on these AWFUL forums.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

It'll be on your hosting/server side, rather than anything to do with Flare.
Your hosting was presumably set up to remove the file extension from the URL.

The breadcrumbs are generated at runtime (not build), and it seems likely that removing the extension causes the breadcrumbs code to fail. For example, the code might grab the current topic URL to check its position in the TOC, so it can generate breadcrumbs. But if the current topic URL is missing the ".htm" extension (according to the server), then it thinks the topic doesn't exist in the TOC, and so doesn't display breadcrumbs.