PDF Button in the HTML Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
RFox
Jr. Propeller Head

PDF Button in the HTML Output

Post by RFox »

I was wondering if the PDF button in the HTML output toolbar is some kind of Madcap reserved button. It seems like changes I make to it in the skin have no effect on the output.

For example:
  • If I change the tooltip in the skin, the output still displays Show PDF.
  • It does not appear in the right-side (preview) of the skin Styles tab.
  • I created a New PDF button, which also does not appear in the preview, and removed the PDF button via the skin Setup tab. But the output button/tooltip continues to take its behavior from the original PDF definitions.
On another writer's advice, I deleted the two toolbar skins in our project and generated the HTML output. The toolbars no longer appear on the upper-right of the topics. But now Previous Arrow and Next Arrow buttons appear on the upper-left of the output. Where could these be coming from?

TIA
Last edited by RFox on Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: PDF Button in the HTML Output

Post by NorthEast »

What PDF button do you mean?
Just there isn't a PDF button by default in the skins that you create in Flare - either the Toolbar HTML5 component skin, or the Trpane skin toolbar.
So the PDF button must be something custom that you've added - it isn't a reserved/default button in Flare.

The preview isn't that helpful, as it shows a fixed set of the default buttons, not the buttons you've selected, and not any of your custom buttons.

If the tooltip text isn't correct, then it could be because you've changed the text for one language, but your output is displaying the tooltip for a different language. For example, I might change a tooltip for English (UK) but my browser might think the current language is English (US).
RFox
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by RFox »

Thanks, but it's not the language.

After further investigation, I found that of the five buttons in the toolbar, four show my changes to the icon and tooltip but that troublesome PDF one only shows my changes for certain topics.

How can a single toolbar skin show updates for only four of the five buttons sometimes? Very strange.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Where you insert the toolbar proxy (in a topic, or template page), you can to choose which buttons to display for that instance of the proxy - and that will override the buttons displayed by default that you set in the skin.

So you need to check each place where you insert the proxy, and check what buttons it is set to display. Maybe the button that isn't being updated is actually a completely different button.
jimgilliam
Propeller Head

Post by jimgilliam »

RFox, you may want to double check your settings under Icon and Size. These two settings can be confusing, and there's not much documentation around these two.

I've had a situation where I couldn't see my new buttons either, and one or both of these settings were off. I'd have to go back through my notes to remember what I did, but it seems to me that these were my culprits. One wasn't large enough for my new button so it either was clipped at high scale or it became the same color as the background (thus, you couldn't see it).

It's confusing to have two widths and two heights to set. One must be like a wrapper for the image? I wish more help docs were available for these especially.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:flare: