Can a page layout call a different variable set depending on the doc using it?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
elin_decker
Propeller Head

Can a page layout call a different variable set depending on the doc using it?

Post by elin_decker »

I have a single project that contains lots of documents. Each document has its own variable set that includes the variables DocTitle, DocNumber, and DocRev. All of the variable sets are saved in the Variables folder with the doc number as the file name. I'd like to have one page layout that all of the documents use, and each printed document will have the document number, title, and revision on every page. How do I set up the page layout for this? When you add a variable to the page layout, you have to specify the name of the variable set (for example, A-1234-B.DocTitle), but the name of the variable set is different for each doc. Am I missing something obvious?
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Can a page layout call a different variable set depending on the doc using it?

Post by AlexFox »

It seems you might be doing things a little bit backwards.

You don't need to have a variable set for each document type, you just use the target to set what the variables should be for that output. This way you can use one page layout, one variable set but have multiple targets in which you set the relevant variable details.

You will of course have to edit every target to set the variables, but you can copy and paste them once you've got one target set up exactly as you like and just edit the variable definitions in each subsequent new target.
elin_decker
Propeller Head

Re: Can a page layout call a different variable set depending on the doc using it?

Post by elin_decker »

Oh, I see now! Thank you so much! I was definitely making it harder on myself. I'm still new to Flare, and there are so many things I know I can do but I have no idea how to do them. :)
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlexFox »

No problem! Yep Flare can be quite confusing/intimidating when you get started, but keep persevering!