Variable not showing in segment

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
ChrisP
Jr. Propeller Head

Variable not showing in segment

Post by ChrisP »

Hi all,

I have an issue with some variable not showing in Lingo when importing content from a Flare project.
In Flare (Context: Hyperlink), the content looks like this:

<a href="Displaying_Studies_in_the_Series_Picker.htm">Displaying Studies in the [%=Primary.Series_Picker%]</a>

and in Lingo it shows up as:

Displaying Studies in the

which causes issues because in some languages, the variable has to be move to another position in the sentence. Since the linguists cannot see that there is a variable at the end of the sentence, we need to fix this manually and it gets time consuming depending on the number of target languages.

In another sentence (Context: regular paragraph), there is also a variable, but this time through the actual Madcap:variable tag and it shows up properly in Lingo:

Flare: <p>However, you can drag and drop any series from any study from the <MadCap:variable name="Primary.Series_Picker" /> into the Viewer.</p>

Lingo: However, you can drag and drop any series from any study from the <tag> into the Viewer.

Has anyone encountered such issue? Is the problem here that the client didn't use the proper variable syntax or that Lingo is ignoring the variable because it's at the end of the sentence? The client did this a few time in their project and it's always in hyperlinks.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,
Chris
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Variable not showing in segment

Post by AlexFox »

I always understood the [%=%] format variables to be an alternative way of using variables as properties inside existing XML tags i.e.

Code: Select all

<p style="color: [%=Formatting.Color%]">Paragraph</p>
It would make sense that Lingo would ignore if if this is the case.
ChrisP
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Variable not showing in segment

Post by ChrisP »

Hi AlexFox,

thanks for your answer. If this is indeed the use of this variable format, then yes, it makes sense. I contacted the support team for them to confirm whether it is intended or a bug that needs to be fixed. I'll post their answer here to keep a trace of this.

Best,
Chris