Artificial Intelligence for style guide compliance

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
kmorrison
Sr. Propeller Head

Artificial Intelligence for style guide compliance

Post by kmorrison »

Last year at MadWorld, we saw a presentation about using AI Assist in MadCap Central to edit topics. (https://documentation.madcapsoftware.co ... Assist.htm) It looked neat, except we can't use the feature because of intellectual property and IT security concerns; we are not allowed to use a public version of ChatGPT. IT and legal are working on getting us private licenses that we can use to work on documentation, where we have our own copy of the model that doesn't report back to the mothership with information about questions asked. However, if I understand correctly, we can't use that with Central.

We'd really like to try using generative AI to help us comb through our documentation and identify style guide violations that don't lend themselves to simple find and replace strategies, as well as applying some new rules to prepare content for translation. Hopefully it will at least soon be possible to paste our content into another window and ask the AI to go through a checklist to help us spot things that need to be updated. However, the process of pasting every topic into another screen, asking for recommendations, and then copying the valid suggestions back into the topic and re-doing all the formatting for ~10k topics sounds spectacularly tedious and time consuming to the point where I'm not sure it's worth it at all.

Surely there is a better way. Does anybody know of a tool that could work in Flare or some kind of less painful process?
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Artificial Intelligence for style guide compliance

Post by AlexFox »

In terms of ensuring topics abide by a specific tag structure, i.e. all <h2> must be followed by <p> with a specific class etc. then there is FlareLint which is exactly for that purpose - https://flarelint.github.io/

However I myself have been unable to get the latest version to work properly as it throws a Python error, and there isn't any support available, but it's worth a go if you can't use any form of AI tool.
kmorrison
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Artificial Intelligence for style guide compliance

Post by kmorrison »

Thanks. That'll be a partial solution if I can get it to work, and "learn how to Python" is on my list of things to do. Though It's getting farther and farther from the top of the list...