How do I delete a project?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
amberlink
Propeller Head

How do I delete a project?

Post by amberlink »

I have a list of projects in my Start page. How do I delete a project so Flare is unaware of it any more AND so that I can be sure it's completely gone from the Flare world? I'd like to start this project over from scratch but don't see how to delete the old one first. I've searched the online help, but no luck there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: How do I delete a project?

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Please See Flare's Help file on how to do this.

http://www.madcapsoftware.com/support/w ... Dialog.htm

You will still need to remove the project from your system using Windwos File Explorer.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
amberlink
Propeller Head

Post by amberlink »

This was the exact topic i found at the bottom of the "relevancy" ranking when I searched in the help and all it told me was how to remove it from my list of projects. Funny thing is the topic you're pointing me to doesn't tell me anything more than what I found. But, I guess that's all there is.

I can work out how to delete files from Windows Explorer, I just thought that the Flare IDE actually managed projects as projects and when you deleted the project from Flare, you deleted from your local machine or wherever it was stored.

One thing you SHOULD add, is that Flare should be closed before trying to actually delete the projects off the local hard drive. The project directory was locked on my machine while I still had Flare open and wouldn't even allow me to rename the directory.

Well, thanks any way.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

amberlink wrote:One thing you SHOULD add, is that Flare should be closed before trying to actually delete the projects off the local hard drive. The project directory was locked on my machine while I still had Flare open and wouldn't even allow me to rename the directory.
That's standard with anything you do with Windows. Windows will tell you if another program is accessing a file/folder and therefore it can't be deleted. Some programs, unfortunately, even lock the file after you've closed it because it's in the "recently used" list. The only way to clear that flag is to close the program that had last accessed it. Word does that, annoyingly enough.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

The only application I ever came across that lets you do that is Notepad. Other than that, file locks are life savers and exist for good reason. Can't just pull the rug under an application's feet and assume it is all working out OK. I bet you can't delete the executable file of an application that is currently running either...
amberlink
Propeller Head

Post by amberlink »

To pick nits here, if the project is going to be deleted from Flare, Flare should handle deleting it from wherever it is. I shouldn't have files/projects littered all over my hard drive.

The dialog/application should prompt me to ask if I'd like to delete this project from my source control and/or hard drive.

Any application I've worked on if I delete the project, I'm deleting the files associated with that project.

But, then, I didn't design this application. Personally I would have built in some logic about that.
amberlink
Propeller Head

Post by amberlink »

LTinker68 wrote:That's standard with anything you do with Windows. Windows will tell you if another program is accessing a file/folder and therefore it can't be deleted. Some programs, unfortunately, even lock the file after you've closed it because it's in the "recently used" list. The only way to clear that flag is to close the program that had last accessed it. Word does that, annoyingly enough.
Well, all I was saying was the help should state this in the well, help because as most of us know, you NEVER take anything for granted, it's the reason why toothpicks have instructions:

1. Open box, take out single toothpick
2. Insert flat end in mouth and use.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Those toothpick instructions lack as well then, doesn't say you are not supposed to swallow them.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

RamonS wrote:Those toothpick instructions lack as well then, doesn't say you are not supposed to swallow them.
Uh oh, there's a lawsuit waiting to happen... sorta like McD's getting sued successfully for selling coffee that's (gasp!) hot....
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
amberlink
Propeller Head

Post by amberlink »

KevinDAmery wrote:Uh oh, there's a lawsuit waiting to happen... sorta like McD's getting sued successfully for selling coffee that's (gasp!) hot....
McDonald's WAS sued for exactly that reason if you weren't aware. Oh, and the woman won.

http://www.atla.org/PressRoom/FACTS/fri ... ecase.aspx

Any way, all I'm saying is if the Flare IDE is working in project mode, it should follow the concept through to deleting projects as well, not JUST from the list of files.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Kevin stated that McDonald's was successfully sued.

And besides that, the help does state this:
Recent Files Dialog

Use this dialog to remove files from the list of recently opened files. This allows you to keep the list shorter and more manageable.

Note: When you use this feature, the file is merely removed from the list, but the actual file is not deleted.
I really don't get how one can misinterpret that....unless one doesn't bother to read everything.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

RamonS wrote:Kevin stated that McDonald's was successfully sued.
And more to the point, it's a classic example of the decline and fall of western civilization. (I mean, really, *who* in their right mind would expect that if you put a cup of coffee between your legs and start driving that you wouldn't a) spill it and b) get burned by it? Yet somehow they managed to dig up 12 people for a jury that thought McDonalds was the one at fault there. Ai carumba....)
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
amberlink
Propeller Head

Post by amberlink »

Yes, and you've met most users? I just helped a coworker "print" a file. She went into Word and clicked Print and then when the dialog came up, was annoyed that the file didn't print. Again, just saying if the paradigm is a project, follow the paradigm through, Flare creates my project directories for me, it should delete them as well.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Bug reports and feature requests can be made here:

http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

IE creates tons of temporary internet files for you, but does it ever delete them? Once a file is deleted it is gone, obviously. So adding an annoyance factor to deletions is actually a good thing. When designing applications one has to make sure that deletions are an act of full intent.
Besides that, when working with multiple authors on one project who says that nobody else needs the project just because you don't want it on your recent project list?
amberlink
Propeller Head

Post by amberlink »

look, i was just saying, Flare created the project, Flare should delete the project.

yes, last post from me.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

And you are just blatantly wrong with that demand. It does not only make much sense, it is counter to any software design principles ever conceived.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

With Word, you can't delete a doc File from Word, you would still have to go out via Windows explorer to delete the file.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

amberlink wrote:To pick nits here, if the project is going to be deleted from Flare, Flare should handle deleting it from wherever it is. I shouldn't have files/projects littered all over my hard drive.

The dialog/application should prompt me to ask if I'd like to delete this project from my source control and/or hard drive.

Any application I've worked on if I delete the project, I'm deleting the files associated with that project.

But, then, I didn't design this application. Personally I would have built in some logic about that.
I totally disagree with you here. You aren't in some sort of tool for creating, editing, and deleting projects. If you were in an area of the application that allowed you to create, edit, and delete projects, then I would agree that you should be able to delete the project from your system when you use that option.

However, in this case, you followed the following links in the menu: File | Recent Projects | Manage Recent Projects, where your only options are Open, Remove, and Cancel.

To me it is obvious that you aren't deleting the project from your system. To me, it's obvious that you are managing the project list, and you can remove a project from the list. The button isn't called "Delete Project from the system". It's not even called "Delete." It's called Remove, which leads me to believe it is different than Delete.

If you want a utility to manage all Flare projects on your system, then you should submit a feature request. That feature doesn't currently exist.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

.....or use File Explorer and have the functionality available today.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

... or use Windows Explorer like you do with Word, PhotoShop, Dreamweaver, FrameMaker, InDesign, Illustrator, SnagIT, and a whole host of other tools in my toolbox (like Richard pointed out earlier in this thread).
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

BL_N
Propeller Head

Post by BL_N »

Richard Ferrell wrote:Please See Flare's Help file on how to do this.

http://www.madcapsoftware.com/support/w ... Dialog.htm

You will still need to remove the project from your system using Windwos File Explorer.
This doesn't seem to be working for me. Attached screenshot shows I've removed everything, but when I restart (as you will see) the start page still shows a load of projects that aren't there anymore.

What am I missing?

(Aside: It would be nice to be able to delete items directly from that start page.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I" before "E" except after "C" or when sounded as "A" as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh'.
helen
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by helen »

Ignore all that - your screenshot didn't fully load! Sorry :roll:
BL_N
Propeller Head

Post by BL_N »

helen wrote:Ignore all that - your screenshot didn't fully load! Sorry :roll:
I never saw it, so all I can do is wonder, "What did she write?" :lol:
"I" before "E" except after "C" or when sounded as "A" as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh'.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

I would close the start page and reopen the start page, and it should be clear
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer