Import of svg graphics

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
multilanguman
Jr. Propeller Head

Import of svg graphics

Post by multilanguman »

We are moving slowly from traditional printed manuals to online/web manuals. Our legacy illustrations are made in Pro E (PTC) and then edited in CorelDraw for import into our DTP layout program. As far as I can make out, Flare can only work with bitmap graphics. It would be an advantage for us to have svg illustrations in our online manuals. Our current manuals contain many technical drawings for illustrating various installation procedures and a large section covering spare parts. These would not look so great as bitmap graphics. Any suggestions?

Rgds

Terence Andrew Petersen-Ajbro
Best regards

NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Import of svg graphics

Post by NorthEast »

I don't know much about SVG, but I'm pretty sure IE (6) needs a SVG viewer to display them (I think Firefox has one built-in).

I had a few diagrams that I wanted to be scaleable, and I inserted them as Flash (swf) files - works fine in Flare and help outputs.
multilanguman
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by multilanguman »

Thanks for the reply, sounds interesting. Would that be using Capture? How did you convert the diagrams to swf (what are the import options in Capture)?
Best regards

NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I think the people that designed our diagrams used Illustrator, and they could save them as Flash SWF files.

If the tool you're using can't save them in this format, a google for "convert svg swf" gives a few possible leads.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

I know that Capture does not have the ability to open a SVG file, You would need to find a tool to change it to a .bmp, jpg, .gif, .png or .tiff
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
multilanguman
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by multilanguman »

Richard Ferrell wrote:I know that Capture does not have the ability to open a SVG file, You would need to find a tool to change it to a .bmp, jpg, .gif, .png or .tiff
Any plans to incorporate support for svg in the future? Otherwise it looks like swf is my best bet.
Best regards

forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

multilanguman wrote:
Richard Ferrell wrote:I know that Capture does not have the ability to open a SVG file, You would need to find a tool to change it to a .bmp, jpg, .gif, .png or .tiff
Any plans to incorporate support for svg in the future? Otherwise it looks like swf is my best bet.
I'd reckon putting in a request
https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx

Flare 4.0 allows you to insert EMF's (Enhanced Meta Files) into topics. Its one of the few native vector file formats it supports. I am pretty sure any drawing application like Corel Draw also lets you export to this format. MathType, a math formula generator lets you export math formulas into EMF for inclusion into topics. unfortunately the EMF gets converted to a raster image on output so the high quality line drawing capability is lost. I think it may be fixed in a future release...then this would be great for you as well
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder