Gray scale effect

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
smurray
Propeller Head

Gray scale effect

Post by smurray »

Hi,
I am trying to trying to create a gray scale effect to parts of a jpeg image which I have added to a frame.
As instructed in the help I add the image to the frame. I then click the grayscale effect button and draw a rectangle around the area of the image I want to remain the same (so that the rest of the image will become gray). However absolutely no change in the image occurs.
What am I doing wrong - any ideas?

Thanks
Susan
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: Gray scale effect

Post by Richard Ferrell »

That is not currently possible, I will add it as a feature request, You could use Capture to mash your two images into one image, and then insert this images as your background in your Mimic Movie, This can be done by clicking on Frame Prorperties. and then On the bitmap tab you can select a different background.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
smurray
Propeller Head

Post by smurray »

Thanks - it would be a good thing to have. I can do this by adding a new image of my own but I am confused about what the gray scale effect does? From the help pages I got the impression that that is what it does. Is it just filled shapes that it can work on and not images?

Susan
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

The grey scale effect (as it works with Capture) is applied to a shape you are using to identify an element in your screen shot. Everything outside the shape is turned to monochrome, while anything inside the shape retains it's colour.

So, for example, if you have a screenshot of a window and want to highlight a button on the toolbar, you can draw a red circle around the button. Apply the grey scale effect to the circle and everything else becomes monochrome. The button, and everything else inside the circle, is there in glorious colour. Of course, if the screenshot is of a drab grey Windows window, you won't see much difference :wink:

You can also apply a blur effect, where everything outside the circle is blurred. I thought it was a great effect, but some users complained so I stopped using it. They said they didn't like anything blurry...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
smurray
Propeller Head

Post by smurray »

Hi Steve,
thanks for that. I knew I had seen that you could do the gray scale thing somewhere - I just got the wrong application! I'm not going mad after all! I'll have a look at it.
I liked the idea initially of using a blurry effect in my quickstart guide but I decided against it for the reason you mentioned. The eye very often does not like this effect because it tries to focus and cannot. I like to use transparency in some parts of an image or screenshot - that effect can look pretty cool. To achieve this I use Photoshop first. Because I'm new to MadCap products I'm not sure whether this can be done with the MadCap suite.

Thanks again.

Susan