Breadcrumbs show wrong path

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
Brit
Propeller Head

Breadcrumbs show wrong path

Post by Brit »

I am using Flare 2,5 and create HTML help. The online help is divided into several folders which contain the same topics as other folders. I thought, it might support the user in fast finding the right topic. The problem is now that nowhere I can define how the breadcrumbs are created. In my case they are created makes not any sense. Sometimes the folder 3 in linear order is taken for the path, sometimes folder 1 which all contain the topic. Can anyone tell if there's a possibility to adjust that?
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: Breadcrumbs show wrong path

Post by Richard Ferrell »

I would look at your TOC and see if the topic is included more that once in the TOC
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
Brit
Propeller Head

Post by Brit »

It is in fact more than once included. This happens to several topics in my online help. Is there a way to determine the path that is shown in the breadcrumbs view manually even if I have used one topic several times in the TOC?
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Not as far as I know.

One thing that Lisa (one of the other MVPs) suggested for this is instead of repeating the topic, create unique topics for each TOC location, create a snippet out of the topic text, then add that snippet to each of the affected topics. This way, they all have the same content and if you need to make a change you only have to modify the snippet, but at the same time you have unique topics in the TOC so the breadcrumbs work.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
Brit
Propeller Head

Post by Brit »

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I integrated that in my help, now the breadcrumbs work as required. The context IDs for the application just refer to one of them.
Now I encountered another problem with cross references that cause script errors either for itself or for hyperlinks in the same topic. The say "an error occurred on the script on this page" which I can remove by clicking yes or no. The links do not work in both cases. In one of the topics I removed the cross reference and suddenly the hyperlink works :?: Strange?? Does anyone have an idea or a solution?