Analyzer takes long time to scan

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Gary Niemen
Sr. Propeller Head

Analyzer takes long time to scan

Post by Gary Niemen »

We are four tech writers working on the same project in Flare 3.1. We are using Analyzer 2.
For three of us, Analyzer takes about 15 minutes to do its scan - this is expected, no problem.
For the fourth tech writer, Analyzer takes about 2 hours.
The difference for the fourth tech writer is:
1) She runs Flare using Remote Desktop from Chicago to Stockholm, Europe.
2) She used Analyzer 1 fairly extensively in the past and only recently went to Analyzer 2.
Any clues anybody? Anybody know what might be going on?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Analyzer takes long time to scan

Post by RamonS »

I'd have her try running a local copy of Flare with Analyzer and a copy of the same project. My guess is that the scan time will then, too, be 15 minutes give or take a few minutes. Although the processes run on the machine RDed into just using RD gobbles up processing time and especially network resources. So if the project files are on a network share then processing the files will be slowed down because most of the network bandwidth is used up for RD.
Gary Niemen
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Gary Niemen »

Thanks, we will try that. Just to add, I think I am right in saying that she used Remote Desktop with Analyzer 1 and then it took a lot less than 2 hours. Would there be any explanation for that?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Different database engines and more features in Analyzer 2, both of which could affect the amount of time it takes to scan.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Gary Niemen wrote:Thanks, we will try that. Just to add, I think I am right in saying that she used Remote Desktop with Analyzer 1 and then it took a lot less than 2 hours. Would there be any explanation for that?
My guess is that Analyzer 2 checks for more things and the the project grows over time.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Just to clarify, if she only just changed to A2 (it seems the others chnaged earlier, and A2/ A1 doesn't play nicely together) is she just using the remote desktop to connect to a machine US? Does the US machine run Flare/ A2 and host the files?

If so, which is what I'd expect), has someone else tried a remote desktop. What happens if someone goes runs her remote desktop from within the same building as the server or even logs on as her?
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Gary Niemen
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Gary Niemen »

I have now run Analyer 2 on our Flare 3.1 project using Remote Desktop. The Flare 3.1 project is here in Stockholm. The Remote Desktop machine is here in Stockholm. I am in Stockholm. The first scan is okay - it is the advanced scan that takes the time. The total run time was one hour. This is better of course than the two hours when the tech writer running it is doing so using Remote Desktop from Chicago.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

I guess what I'm trying to work out is how many pipes you have going.

If you are remoting to a desktop and running a scan from that desktop to another location you are going to be generating a lot of network traffic. If the scan is running on a connection using a VPN or similar you are going to be hammered by 2 lots of uplink restriction.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.