Generating Alias File: Missing Topic

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Jodie Boedigheimer
Propeller Head

Generating Alias File: Missing Topic

Post by Jodie Boedigheimer »

When I build my output, I get many messages in the errors saying "Generating Alias File: Missing Topic..." and then it goes on to say the topic does not exist in the Content folder. And it's correct . . . the topic doesn't exist because I deleted it on purpose. I tried going in to the alias file to remove the entry for the missing topics, but the entries do not exist. I have no clue how to get these messages to go away.

I could use the ignore it and move on method since it's not really breaking anything, but it would be nice to know where this message is coming from and be able to clean it up.

Anyone?

Thanks
J
dwag
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Generating Alias File: Missing Topic

Post by dwag »

Do the topics still exit in the Header file (same folder as Alias file)? I think it's happened to me before, and once I deleted the topics from the Header file, the message went away.
Jodie Boedigheimer
Propeller Head

Nope - I can't find them in the header file, alias file, or contents list. I recognize the topics as topics that I deleted from the project. They also weren't topics that were ever mapped in the alias file since they weren't CSH topics. So I'm completely baffled.

Thanks
J
dwag
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by dwag »

I'm guessing they inadvertently found their way into the Alias file at some point, since you're getting the message.

Good luck.
Last edited by dwag on Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

Jodie Boedigheimer wrote:Nope - I can't find them in the header file, alias file, or contents list. ...
Here's a possibility. When you checked for them in the alias file, did you use the Flare Alias Editor, or check in an external text editor? The Alias Editor won't show entries if it can't map to the topic, but you can use a text editor to search for and remove the lines.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
Jodie Boedigheimer
Propeller Head

Opening the file in WordPad worked . . . I found and deleted the "offending" lines :-)

The only issue is now when I try to build the output, I get the following error . . .

Internal Error: '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 86, position 50.

BLUCK!

Any ideas on that one?

Thanks
J
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

I've no definite ideas on that one, but I'd be checking the alias file in Notepad again - maybe an opening or closing bracket got removed by mistake?
I'd check the lines around Line 86 to make sure they were well formed. Post them if you need to.
Jodie Boedigheimer
Propeller Head

Looks like that worked . . .there were random "box" characters replacing real characters throughout the file. Bluck.

Thanks for the tips. They all helped! I appreciate it.

Jodie
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

For future reference, I wouldn't use Wordpad, as it's a RTF editor rather than pure text editor. Notepad is safer, as are 3rd party text editors like TextPad, Edit+, etc. And of course there's Flare's internal text editor.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

KevinDAmery wrote: And of course there's Flare's internal text editor.
I agree with you about using Notepad. Unfortunately, you can't "right-click" on the alias or header files anymore in Flare 4 and use the internal editor (in fact, nothing in the Project organiser - only Content files). I think that was my first v4 bug :-)
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

If you right-click on them and select Open then it automatically opens them in the Internal Text Editor. Well, the header file does. The alias file has its own "editor".

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.