Trouble getting the v3 help viewer to run

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the DotNet Help target, and the Dot Net Viewer
alex
Propeller Head

Trouble getting the v3 help viewer to run

Post by alex »

I encountered the following error while trying to run SetupMadCapHelpViewer0303.msi to set up the Help Viewer:

The cabinet file '_33384479434F5A05291C5731BCDA7175' required for this installation is
corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the
CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks,
Alex
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Trouble getting the v3 help viewer to run

Post by LTinker68 »

Nope, but I'm guessing you downloaded the help viewer from the MadCap website? You may not have downloaded the entire thing or something may have happened to your connection and the file got corrupted. Try downloading it again. Or have you already done that and it's still giving you the error?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
alex
Propeller Head

Post by alex »

Thanks, Lisa. You were correct. Because it is an .msi file, our corporate security policies prohibit me from being able to download the file. Our support department had to download it for me, so something must have happened to it during their download. Someone else with the appropriate credentials just downloaded it again for me, and it *is* working fine.

Hey MadCap, how about zipping those files so they don't alarm our IT department :)

Thanks,
Alex
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

A good IT department also scans zipped files, so not much would be gained unless the archive is password protected.
alex
Propeller Head

Post by alex »

Yes, of course, and everything is scanned; however, certain extensions appear to be automatic showstoppers for us. They never even make it to the scanning stage.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

What I meant was that when .exe or .msi files are blocked without being zipped then they will be blocked when they are in a plain zip file. So there needs to be a password on the zip file so that the scanner cannot access it. Sometimes it is also enough to just remove the file extension. In one of my previous jobs I had to zip, password protect, and remove the extension when I sent something to a particular customer.
alex
Propeller Head

Post by alex »

Ah, I see. I learn something new every day. Thanks, David.