Transparency in images not working for PDF output!

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
beagley
Sr. Propeller Head

Transparency in images not working for PDF output!

Post by beagley »

My images (pngs) contain transparencies.

When compiling the PDF, Flare seems to be translating that transparency into WHITE.

When images appear against a light yellow background, for example, they have a white square around them.

This doesn't happen in the WebHelp, so I'm sure I'm setting the transparency on the PNGs correctly. I haven't messed with anything in the print side of the stylesheet, that I can remember.

Any ideas?

Does the engine that builds PDFs for Flare simply not support image transparency?
beagley
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Transparency in images not working for PDF output!

Post by beagley »

For anyone interested:

After a lot of testing, I've submitted this as a bug.

It appears that whenever Flare handles an image in any way (either scales it or puts it in a PDF) it changes all transparent parts of the image to WHITE.

I thought it was a problem with PDF/print output, but found it did the same thing in WebHelp when scaling.
Will Gaffga
Propeller Head

Post by Will Gaffga »

This still occurs, at least in PDFs. :cry:
We generally don't scale images, esp. for a web solution, so I can't comment on that. What I can comment on is that this is bad. Very bad. Especially as it is more than a year old.
beagley
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by beagley »

Hello,
Yes, it is frustrating.

We've decided, for now, to just not use any kind of background for images... and making other tweaks to eliminate the need for transparencies in the PDF output. It is unfortunate, and results in output that doesn't look as snazzy. Fortunately, with CSS, we can have the online Web Help have the backgrounds (and no image scaling) and not the print.