auto-building a .h file from TopicAlias markers

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
pdxwordsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

auto-building a .h file from TopicAlias markers

Post by pdxwordsmith »

FM 8.0p266, Flare 4.1.40, WebHelp output

I added TopicAlias markers to the topics to hook up to the UI and Flare generated the .h and alias files perfectly. Then, I added a new TopicAlias marker to a heading early in the book. When Flare generated the new .h file, the new topic ID was inserted in the .h file approximately where it appeared in the book, incrementing the numeric values of all topic IDs following the new ID.

If the developer is supposed to use the numeric value (in his code) to associate a topic ID with a UI element, shouldn't the value be static - and not subject to change if I add new topic IDs with TopicAlias markers?

Is there some setting I'm missing to generate a .h file and include new TopicAlias markers at the END of the .h file, keeping all previous IDs static?

Thanks,
Hanna
Hanna

Flare 6.1.0, WebHelp, PDF, and Word targets, sometimes import from FM 8.0p277 and 9.0p196
Submit bugs and feature requests here: http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: auto-building a .h file from TopicAlias markers

Post by NorthEast »

pdxwordsmith wrote:If the developer is supposed to use the numeric value (in his code) to associate a topic ID with a UI element, shouldn't the value be static - and not subject to change if I add new topic IDs with TopicAlias markers?

I would suggest that the developer doesn't use the numeric value for CSH calls, and instead uses the identifier name - i.e. what you put in your TopicAlias markers.

I can't see any real reason/advantage of using numeric values in preference to identifiers; and in your situation the values are generated automatically during the import, so it isn't really a viable option.
pdxwordsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: auto-building a .h file from TopicAlias markers

Post by pdxwordsmith »

Thanks. That's what we ended up doing. The Flare help suggests otherwise...
Hanna

Flare 6.1.0, WebHelp, PDF, and Word targets, sometimes import from FM 8.0p277 and 9.0p196
Submit bugs and feature requests here: http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx