Propigating Style Sheet Changes across Multiple Projects

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
nfberg
Propeller Head

Propigating Style Sheet Changes across Multiple Projects

Post by nfberg »

I'm working on creating the doc sets for 4 different products each having it's own Flare project. As I create more of the docs I'm finding I need to create some new styles. For example I created a specific table style that will be used for the same type of table in all the projects.

Ideally I'd like to make the change in the open project and when I move to another project have those styles I've created already at my disposal. Currently I copy the style in the project I've recently made a change in to a folder on the PC I've called Shared_Resources. When switching to another project I need to re-import the now changed style. Instead of having to distribute the style sheet to each project can I keep the style in a shared location so each time I open a project the latest version is pulled in.

Thanks
http://www.drivethruonline.com
Drive Thru Online - Supercharging vBulletin
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Propigating Style Sheet Changes across Multiple Projects

Post by LTinker68 »

In Flare v4, they introduced project linking, which is basically what you're describing. You have a project that contains all of the elements that will be shared, then in the working project you link to the element in the element project (for want of a better term). When you want to make a change to a source element, you make the change to the element project and all projects that are linked to that element will update accordingly.

That's the theory anyway -- I haven't used it yet since we have different clients with different looks. But if you look in the "What's New" section of the Flare help then you'll get more info.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
nfberg
Propeller Head

Post by nfberg »

Thanks...

Read the relevant parts and makes perfect sense.

Now if it was possible to link them all and changes made in any of them propagated across all linked projects that would be great. Sounds like a feature request!
http://www.drivethruonline.com
Drive Thru Online - Supercharging vBulletin
alaltenburg
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by alaltenburg »

I am pretty sure that if you project link your stylesheet, then they are linked together (should show the link chain) and when it builds, it should look for the most recent version.

Have not messed with it too much, but am pretty sure.
The Moon is the first milestone on the road to the stars.

— Arthur C. Clarke
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Post by trent the thief »

Hiya,

The import feature works exactly as you want, though it is a one way connection. My help systems have a few separate master projects and a number of sub-projects. There is also one project we named global (with all of it's stunning originality) and that is where all of the master items, graphics, common snippets, stylesheets, master pages, layouts, etc. end up.

When it's necessary to add or modify a style, we make out change and then use a merge/comparison tool, such as WinMerge to move the changes to the stylesheet in the global project.

Then in each project, we open the global import file (under the Projects/Imports directory) and re-import files. Of course, the change may not necessitate an immediate update and then could be postponed to occur automatically with the build process, which is how we handle most of ours.

Ping me if you have questions.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare: