Title page header and footer

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
CanAussie
Propeller Head

Title page header and footer

Post by CanAussie »

G'day,

In my TOC, I have set my title page set to use the title page in my page layout, but it still seems to be using the Right page because there is a header and footer.

What am I missing?

CanAussie
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Title page header and footer

Post by KevinDAmery »

In your Page Layout there should be a page called First. Make sure that you don't have a header / footer in that page. Also, in the TOC you have to make sure that you add a chapter or section break on that topic to get it to use the First layout as opposed to the Right / Left layouts.

HTH.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
alaltenburg
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by alaltenburg »

I am having the same issue with the cover page taking on a header and footer. I have a page layout for "Title" and have set that in the TOC, but it still comes up. When I preview in print layout and with print css, it shows no header and footer. It's not until I build that they show up.
The Moon is the first milestone on the road to the stars.

— Arthur C. Clarke
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Are you building to Word or PDF? If you're building to Word, do you also have a masterpage in the project?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
alaltenburg
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by alaltenburg »

I had been building Word, but for my sake, it doesn't matter if it is word or pdf. I did a build to pdf, and it fixed my cover page header/footer issue, as well as the picture justifying. The issue that I do still have is that my caption autonumbers are not continuing, but starting over.

Thanks,
Andrea

— Arthur C. Clarke
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

alaltenburg wrote:The issue that I do still have is that my caption autonumbers are not continuing, but starting over.
Sounds like you might have used the wrong code in the auto-number format. You need to specify that it's a global counter, not a chapter one. So instead of the format starting as "CH", where C indicates that it's a chapter-wide counter and H is the unique ID for that auto-number sequence, you need "GH", where G indicates that it's a global-wide counter.

Lisa
alaltenburg
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by alaltenburg »

The only issue with that is that I do not want it as a global counter. Each chapter needs to start over. It seems to work in some of my chapters, but not others.

— Arthur C. Clarke
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

You have to make sure that you clearly indicate in the TOC where the chapters start. The TOC doesn't assume that each book is a chapter -- it only assumes chapters start where you tell it that chapters start. So if each book is a chapter, then you have to set up each book as a chapter, even if you use the same page layout for each chapter and even if the page numbering continues from the previous chapter.

It sometimes helps to set the TOC to list (grid) view so that you can see where you started the chapters. I had a problem that was driving me crazy with auto-numbering because I had missed setting just one book as a chapter.

Lisa
alaltenburg
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by alaltenburg »

LTinker68 wrote: It sometimes helps to set the TOC to list (grid) view so that you can see where you started the chapters. I had a problem that was driving me crazy with auto-numbering because I had missed setting just one book as a chapter.
This is something I didn't realize I could do. I changed to grid mode. I love it!

The grid shows that I have already set a chapter for each book in my TOC. Do I need to also do this for each topic, or is just the book ok?

— Arthur C. Clarke
alaltenburg
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by alaltenburg »

I have only been messing with chapter 1 when it comes to print. The autonumbers are not working in it. However, when I switch to another chapter, all I set was chapter for the cover page, TOC, and the first page of the body, and my autonumbering works just fine.

— Arthur C. Clarke
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

alaltenburg wrote:Do I need to also do this for each topic, or is just the book ok?
If the topic is inside a book then it will follow whatever is set on the book, so long as nothing has been set on the topic itself. I'm not sure what would happen if you set the second topic in a book, for instance, to be a chapter, if the third topic would then pick up the settings from the second topic or if it would pick up its settings from the parent book (chapter). It's just easier for me to set up the chapters as books so the topics inside a book all follow the settings on the book.

If a topic is outside of a book (on the same level as a book) then you can still set that topic to be a chapter. Theoretically, that is. Like I said, I set mine all up in books so that it's easier to see the structure when I look at the TOC.

Lisa
alaltenburg
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by alaltenburg »

I went into my TOC again and figured out that I had set not only the book, but also the topics within the book. I went in and removed the new chapter break from the topics inside books, and now my figure autonumbers are working as they should be. :)

Time for another happy dance,
Andrea

— Arthur C. Clarke